Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got one?

Just set mine up yesterday: useful little gadget.

And cheap-as-chips too! :thumbs:

:cool::thumbs:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Got mine in September. Fantastic for Netflix.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
What does it stream? Is it only certain things ?

Say,for arguments sake i wanted to watcha football match that was on a peer to peer site like wiziwig...would it stream that ?

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Certain stuff such as Youtube, Google Play etc (country dependent) plus anything you can view with the Chrome browser.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought two in the US.

It really is at a price where you go, "Oh what the hell, I'll take two!" :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I have Chrome as my browser and I want to run live soccer through wiziwig peer to peer...can i do this through chromecast ?

Btw i bought the Nowtv box for £9.99...got a months free Sky Movies....runs perfectly with no buffering whatsoever...amazing !!

G

·
Chromecast isn't going to work with any software based VPN, blocker or similar. Reason for this is that the mobile device only acts as a controller to instruct the dongle which then connects directly to the internet rather than pulling any protected stream from the controlling device.

Apparently the casting of entire web pages including video from the Chrome desktop browser should be possible but I haven't yet tested this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Chromecast isn't going to work with any software based VPN, blocker or similar. Reason for this is that the mobile device only acts as a controller to instruct the dongle which then connects directly to the internet rather than pulling any protected stream from the controlling device.

Apparently the casting of entire web pages including video from the Chrome desktop browser should be possible but I haven't yet tested this.

Casting the chrome browser window works.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Bought one yesterday, a nifty little gadget. I've got a Synology NAS and I'm able to cast from the Music and Picture applications, Video doesn't seem to work at the moment, but I've not tried that hard.

Streaming direct from a laptop using YouTube or Netflix works great (although I had one instance of the ChromeCast extension in Chrome crashing).

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SFR in France are bundling them with phones and there's a CanalPlay subscription movie channel app too...

G

·
The subs based stuff is all well and good and I suspect we'll see more and more but the ability to stream one's own media free from cost and DRM is a big plus.

I am using Plex on my Windows Homeserver for this streaming DVD/BR rips in h264 and the integration with Chromecast is very good indeed, so much so that I bought two more yesterday :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Has anyone tried Netflix from either an android phone or an ipad? Straight forward enough? Picture / sound quality any good?

Thinking about moving the ps3 upstarts and using this to replace it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

G

·
Haven't tried Netflix but the implementation is then same as with iPlayer and YT and hence exceptionally easy. You launch the app on the mobile device, select the video you want, press play and then touch the little Chromecast icon on the screen and hey presto.

Max resolution I believe is 720p and so far both IPlayer and YT perfectly watchable in my opinion.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts