Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the chrome intake pipes? The reason I ask is I'm engine detailing and they need a good clean; will be a lot easier to do this with them off. As far as I can see there are two allen head bolts into the engine block and a jubilee type clip in the air intake. Apart from replacing the gasket I don't see it being too much of a problem?

·
Registered
62 Posts
good advise about the pliers... you will kill the clips without them.
take them off, give them a run through the dishwasher and dry thoroughly.
then apply some metal polish to bring em up a treat.

·
Registered
900 Posts
good advise about the pliers... you will kill the clips without them.
take them off, give them a run through the dishwasher and dry thoroughly.
then apply some metal polish to bring em up a treat.
I need to buy a dish washer

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Take care removing the screws that go onto the inlet adaptors, the manifold-like thing. If you drop one you won't be able to retrieve it unless by luck it lodges on something nearby - it will more than likely fall down deep and you won't even be able to see it: even more so for the washers. The gaskets underneath are quite easily damaged and are also quite expensive. The originals are a green colour so you'll know if non-original parts have been used on it. Check the rubber tubes for splits - they should be soft and pliable but do harden with age.

When putting the screws back - a bit fiddly - be careful not to overtighten them. They only go into relatively thin aluminium on the adaptors and easy to damage.

After polishing the things, wax the outsides as chrome is porous. Not sure what's best to use - wheel wax maybe. As already stated, use the proper tool on the Clic-R thingies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts