Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to buy a real tree this year for the first time ever. What’s the best kind to get and what do I need to do to make sure it doesn’t shed all its needles by mid December?

K

·
0 Posts
I like a Scots pine. Hot tip: don't put it near a radiator if you can avoid it. It'll last a lot longer.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Water it every day :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
We always get a Nordman fir, put it in a stand full of water & keep it topped up. They recommend cutting off the bottom inch of the trunk, to expose fresh wood which will absorb the water better, but I don't usually bother. We keep it in the dining room, where the radiator's on only at mealtimes. Always lasts a month without losing too many needles - until I take it out, when I accidentally twang the top against the door frame, and cover the whole house with them.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
What Sterzo said, I'm a Nordman Fir fan :thumbs:

Had the same bucket stand with four legs on for years, they shed very little if the bottom inch of the trunk is trimmed off and the water is topped up :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right, my extremely local garden centre has two types - tall slim ones and short fat ones, I can't remember there actual names (and ideas?).

According to the gadgie the short fat ones keep their needles better but both should be fine for 3-4 weeks.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
NORDMAN FIR :)

They normally have a tag on them to tell you the type and height :D

We go for a 6'-7' and a wide as we can get :)

If it hasn't got a tag saying it's a Nordman it's probably a bill and harry special that will drop all it's needles within 24hrs of being decorated :lol:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Short, fat one, Ros.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, got myself a nice Nordman Fir this morning. Brought it home, trimmed half an inch of the end and stood it in a bucket of water in the kitchen.

Now I need to get myself a decent stand cos the one I bought for £7 yesterday is shite.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
('Pulco mode on) Burn them! :) ('Pulco mode off)

Years since we've had a tree but if you must get a tree now, don't bring it into the house until much nearer Xmas - most over-heated modern houses are far from the best environments for a tree, and I've not come across one yet that won't start to drop some needles, and when you do decorate it, don't overload it as the branches will bend......

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts