Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before work this morning I was poking around the engine bay of my 33. I have decided to replace the grounds for the battery, alternator with larger gauge wires. As I was looking I was surprised by the small size of the wires present. Are all the 33's equiped with such small gauge wires, and if so can this attribute to the deteriation of the current over time?

psc

P

·
0 Posts
probably as much to do with the tiny battery as anything i should think,

they're not a great deal of Amps as i recall.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Alfa are not well known for their great electrics!

It is well worth upgrading wires especially if the gauge appears too thin.
My battery warning light glows dimly when my headlights are on and is brighter when the wipers are on!! Even though the battery is showing a good voltage and is rated slightly above the standard amperage.

I was in discussion with lonewolf about the grounding on the instrument cluster as it doesn't work very well.
When you turn on the cluster lights all the needles tend to increase a little!!

He made this mod. Something I need to do on mine as the temp. gauges shows about 3 degrees more when I turn on the cluster lights!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Alfa are not well known for their great electrics!

It is well worth upgrading wires especially if the gauge appears too thin.
My battery warning light glows dimly when my headlights are on and is brighter when the wipers are on!! Even though the battery is showing a good voltage and is rated slightly above the standard amperage.

I was in discussion with lonewolf about the grounding on the instrument cluster as it doesn't work very well.
When you turn on the cluster lights all the needles tend to increase a little!!

He made this mod. Something I need to do on mine as the temp. gauges shows about 3 degrees more when I turn on the cluster lights!!!
I personally would not worry about the readings any of the dials give, they are quite inacurate but o.k. as a rough reference. I would consider capillary gauges if you want a true reading of temp,fuel and revs.

P

·
0 Posts
funnily enough i had a good chat with a guy, off forum, just earlier tonight on a slightly related subject.

we spoke of many of our cars of the past, and i think it was his 1300 junior that he recalled had just one single earth connection bolted up to the front panel beneath the headlamp bowl, and they were piddly little things too.

even the tailights rather than ground locally ran up towards the loom upfront and eventually onto this one pathetic lug.

crazy really, how did they ever think that was going to be reliable?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi psc,

From the model year 1986 the alternator wiring has changed a bit. Instead of one there are
two thick parallel wire between the alternator and the solenoid of the starter motor.
(From 1986 the alternator and it's connector has been changed as well.)

The thick red wire has 6 square mm cross section which is able to handle 57 Amp continous load.
(Do you have 45A or 55A rated alternator?)
The thin green wire handles a small amount of excitation current only when the alternator RPM is low,
on higher RPMs the alternator is become self excitated and there's no current flow on this wire.

Generally the voltage drop on the wires might raise as they aging, this can be checked with a multimeter
if you have doubts regarding the conditon of the wire(s).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts