Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ever so politically correct Oxford city council is no longer calling Christmas Christmas this year. Instead it is to be called "the winter lights festival".

This is so that people of other faiths can enjoy the period as well apparently.

This really annoys me. I am not religious, but I thought that the UK was a mostly Christian country, with Christian beliefs and pricipals. People who come here should accept our culture, we shouldn't have to change ours.

R

·
0 Posts
What these politically correct fools fail to realise is that this type of stupid rubbish only fuels racial hatred, why dont they stop trying to appease minorities and start pleasing the tax paying public who keep these clowns in a job.

N

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a Daily Mail made-up bull-schiesse story.
Again. Must be that time of year.
:rolleyes:

Link to reliable/trustworthy news source please. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a Daily Mail made-up bull-schiesse story.
Again. Must be that time of year.
:rolleyes:

Link to reliable/trustworthy news source please. ;)
No I never saw that in the m..........I mean your probably right Nev :lol:

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wasn't a Daily mail story, it was on Central news South, and is 100% true.

I bet it's in the Daily mail tomorrow though.

N

·
0 Posts
As I can't (be bothered to) watch Central TV, lets
try looking this up on.....

oh I don't know...

Oxford city council's website?

Hmmmmm what's this?
Oxford City Council: Latest News

Oxford City Council Press Release said:
"Oxford City Council will celebrate Christmas 2008 in the same way as it has celebrated all
previous Christmases: we will have Christmas trees in the Town Hall and in Broad Street,
the Lord Mayor will host a Christmas reception for community workers and will hold the annual
Christmas Carols event, and we will be sending out Christmas cards.

"Oxford Inspires, who is jointly funded by Oxford University, Oxford Brookes University, the City
and County Councils and the Arts Council to sponsor cultural and arts events across the county,
designed the WinterLight event for 2008. This builds on the very successful event of December
2007, with the same name, which involved the late night opening of many museums and galleries,
with musical events, food and drink, and activities for children.
So looks to me like this "Winterlights" is trying to extend
community activities etc to before Christmas.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Let's keep Christmas for Christmas, but have activities all
the way from November.

Google is your friend.......

:p

N

·
0 Posts
I'd like to find out what they think it'll
achieve lying like that.

Is it to stir up religious/racial tension or some other
nasty reason?

Or are they just lazy, drunk, cocaine-addled, pig-ignorant journos?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The **** stirrers do this every year and someone falls for it everytime :rolleyes:

I suppose if no one did fall for it, they'd stop :rolleyes:
Well said Gibbo, my missus was brought up as a Moslem, but she is the first one to make sure that I bring down the tree and deccies. I should point out, that her family, thousands of miles away in a Moslem country, never fail to send us a "proper" Christmas card, with a manger scene, complete with Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus and the Maji and Shepherds. It then puts it into perspective, when all the other cards we get, are of Robins and Cats and Dogs, and all the other rubbish.
I say "Keep Christmas, and get rid of all the PC idiots with misplaced intentions, who are trying to divide our country" :rant:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Diwalli is the festival of lights. It was celebrated last week (on Thursday IIRC).

If we are a diverse country like we set out to be, there shouldn't be wrong with celebrating any religious celebration, let alone one pretty much indigenous to GB.

S

·
0 Posts
I send my Muslim friends Christmas cards and they send me Eid cards. I don't need to send them Eid cards and they don't need to send Christmas cards. (One does send a New Year card though)

And we exchange birthday cards too.

It's about celebrating what's important - and the most important thing is friendship.

Should we have an AO day? we could all send each other AO greetings and good wishes for the coming year.

After all, it is nearly a religon with some. :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Christmas is a 'Pagan festival' dumped on our traditional Winter Soltice Festival..... ;) :lol:

Euletide log pre Christian..
'Christmas' tree pre Christian....
Mistletoe pre christian etc etc etc

for example...
"The history and origin of the Christmas mistletoe can be traced back to the ancient Scandinavian custom as well as to the Norse myth. The Scandinavian people believed mistletoe to be a plant of peace. Even if enemies happened to pass beneath the plant, they had to lay down their arms and call truce atleast until the next day. Slowly and gradually, this custom gave rise to the kissing tradition that is still in vogue. However, Christmas mistletoe is also very much associated with one of the Norse myths, known as the myth of Baldur.

Baldur, the God of vegetation, was the son of Norse goddess, Frigga. When he was born, Frigga made each and every plant, animal and even inanimate object promise that it will never ever harm Baldur. Somehow, the mistletoe plant escaped the attention of Frigga and Loki, the enemy of Baldur, took advantage of this lapse. He tricked one of the other Gods into killing Baldur with a spear made of mistletoe.

With the death of Baldur, winters came into this world. To correct this situation, the Gods restored Baldur to life. After this incident, Frigga pronounced the mistletoe to be a sacred plant, which would bring love in the world, rather than death. From then onwards, whenever two people pass under mistletoe, they kiss and celebrate Baldur's resurrection. Apart from the customs and myths, the Christmas mistletoe has also been associated with kissing as it is regarded as an aphrodisiac."

NB...in Scandinavian relious regions the Christians used the Baldur mythology as the "Christ' legend to help convert the people.....

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
So what has the followers of the three crazy desert religions done for us....well they have convinced those living in the Cold northern climes of Europe that heat is bad when any fool knows that it is better to be warm than freezing your testicles off anyday :cheese:

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
but I thought that the UK was a mostly Christian country, with Christian beliefs and pricipals.
By name but not by deed as I see it, perhaps? :confused:

People who come here should accept our culture, we shouldn't have to change ours.
Who came here recently and asked to have Xmas cancelled then! :eek: Get-em! :rant: They are not worthy! :mad:

Oh wait- it's been said, that it's rubbish news and the usual pot-stirrers! We need to be above this and spot crap being sprayed like this. Lets not perpetuate :)

Don't believe the hype ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Anyway I never forgave the usurping of Yuletide
by this upstart winter festival "Christ-mass". :rant: :mad:

:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts