Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a black 56 plate 159 V6 Q4 Lusso from Chris Variava in Nottingham about a month ago. It was in excellent condition and the wheels had been recently refurbished, unfortunately it looked like it was a bit of a bodge job as they hadn't even taken the wheels off the car! There was overspray on the brake parts.

I pointed this out at the time and got them to replace the front brake disks and pads but I have now noticed that the paint is peeling off the wheels. I contacted Chris Variava's and have been told that it is cosmetic and therefore not a safety issue so that they won't do anything about it.

Frankly, in my opinion the attitude of the staff that I have had from the garage has been less than exemplary. When I went to pick the car up the petrol tank appeared virtually empty and I only thought I had enough to get me to the nearest petrol station [I have been assured by Chris Variava that there was £15 of fuel in the tank, however the indicator was showing less than 1/8 of a tank when I picked the vehicle up]. In our opinion, the car hadn't been properly valeted and me and my wife chose to spend a day cleaning it out.

The guy that sold us the car was very good and very helpful but it seems that once they have sold you the car the service you get is not to the same standard. I have sent them an email stating that under the Goods and Services Act 1982 and subsequent amendments, if goods sold are not of sufficient quality then I have the right for a refund or replacement. I asked them to pay for the professional refurbishment of the wheels by a reputable company but they won't budge an inch.

I personally shall be very wary of having any more dealings with this garage. Fortunately, I am not local to Nottingham so I will be taking my business elsewhere.

....ok, rant over!! :mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mr XXXXXXXX

In response to your comments on this forum with your post titled Chris Variava. As you are aware we have already given you the reasons why we will not refurbish your alloy wheels.

In relation to your comments about "shocking service" [this comment has subsequently been amended] . We do have proof that our Salesman did indeed put £15 of fuel in your car that day from the petrol station next door. The car did indeed have a full valet before delivery by our professional on site valeters to a satisfactory standard.

On collection of the car you signed a delivery checklist form to confirm your satisfaction of the vehicle. You have been followed up twice by me after delivery to confirm all was ok and you e mailed our Salesman Will to say the car was "fantastic" the day after delivery, you only mentioned the windscreen seal then, which as you know is being dealt with.

I have sent you a private message firstly rather than dispute matters on a public forum.We do believe your comments about our company to be untrue and unfair. We request that you amend or remove your post immediately from this forum, otherwise we shall take further advice on the matter.

Regards

XXXXXXXXXX

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I appreciate the prompt response to my emails and public discussion on this forum. I am more that happy to debate the level of service to be expected from an Alfa Romeo main dealer in this public area if you wish and I would be happy to leave my own personal experiences aside to promote debate on the subject.

I realise that my original post did not make clear the distinction between fact and my own opinion, so I hope that my edits have clarified the situation.

Colin

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
"We are sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered with your new Alfa Romeo. Of course we always aim to deliver service of the highest quality in order to ensure total customer satisfaction, from the moment you walk into our showroom and throughout your ownership. As a goodwill gesture, in this case we will agree to cover the cost of refurbishment of your wheels, and look forward to your future business and glowing reports of our excellent customer service to all your Alfa Romeo-owning friends."

The response one might have hoped for. Not "We have sold you the car and taken your money and as far as I'm concerned I'll be following the law to the letter rather than listening to your concerns".

:(

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Mr XXXXXXXX

I have sent you a private message firstly rather than dispute matters on a public forum.We do believe your comments about our company to be untrue and unfair. We request that you amend or remove your post immediately from this forum, otherwise we shall take further advice on the matter.

Regards

XXXXXXXXXX

You are also entitled to your opinion. Its true i did not see your original post, but still........

If a company does not want an open debate on a forum, it probably wants to cover up for something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My point exactly Nicky, I do not expect to have to pay out to have the wheels re-refurbished within a couple of weeks of spending £1000s on a car. The wheels had clearly been very recently resprayed when I viewed the car and therefore I would expect the finish on the wheels to last some time.

What I don't understand is that they would rather lose a customer and risk their reputation being tarnished (I explained in an email to them prior to posting that I would post on a public Alfa Romeo forum my issue if it was not resolved satisfactorily, so I gave them advance warning and a chance to pay for the repairs) than spend a couple of hundred pounds on having the wheels refurbished.

It is the fact that they dismissed my issue saying that it was purely cosmetic and therefore not covered under warranty so they could do nothing about it. I agree that it wouldn't be covered under warranty, but that is not the point. They should cover the costs to show that they respect and value their customers!

If you bought a car that was 3 years old and sold as being in excellent condition and the paint starting peeling off the wheels within a couple of weeks would you be happy? What would you do about it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chris variava

i have been a customer of Chris Variava before as well.
To be fair they were very good.
It sounds like you have been unlucky although be fair to the dealer and you, the car is used and will have used wheels, you must have been happy with the car at the time or you would not have bought it!!!!!
The problems with alloys is that when they are re-painted if pressure washed then the paint will come off, if i was you hand wash you wheels this will sort your problem.
I think sometimes we moan about little things that are not really relevant to life!!!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
...the car is used and will have used wheels, you must have been happy with the car at the time or you would not have bought it!!!!!
Yes, but by all accounts, it sounds like the wheels looked good when Col159V6 bought the car and signed the forms. Nobody would expect or accept the wheels deteriorating so much, in such a short period.

Nice first post by the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used car used wheels!!
You could say that if you wanted new wheels spend 30K on a new car!!!
Either that or live with the damage that was probably on the wheels in the first place before they had bee repaired, i know what i would rarther look at??!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the wheels had been in a state that was commensurate with the age of the vehicle and had a few curb marks, etc I would have accepted that but it was the fact that the car was being sold with wheels that looked like new. I bought the car with the wheels in an 'as new' state. I would therefore not expect the paint to start peeling within a couple of weeks of purchase, just as I would not expect it from a new cars wheels. There should be no difference.

I never pressure-wash my cars, I only ever reluctantly put them through a hand-car wash if there has been a lot of snow and grit around to get rid of the worst of the scum that accumulates over winter. Anyone who loves their car would never regularly put them through a car wash!! It ruins the paint work.

...and yes, I was happy with the car AT THE TIME!! I am still happy with the car but not with the state of the wheels or the attitude of Chris Variava's after-sales service!

R

·
0 Posts
I think the OP's point about the wheels is that the faults were covered up to facilitate a sale, rather than being properly repaired. It is a bit like putting a smear of filler and a dab of paint over rust damage - it will look OK initially but the problem will soon come back. If so, it is a dishonest way to trade.

Edit: To CV. The OP has made a point that is relevant to any of us trying to decide if we would use a particular dealer. The veiled threat of legal action if he did not withdraw or change his post is less than impressive. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
86,122 Posts
i have been a customer of Chris Variava before as well.
To be fair they were very good.
It sounds like you have been unlucky although be fair to the dealer and you, the car is used and will have used wheels, you must have been happy with the car at the time or you would not have bought it!!!!!
The problems with alloys is that when they are re-painted if pressure washed then the paint will come off, if i was you hand wash you wheels this will sort your problem.
I think sometimes we moan about little things that are not really relevant to life!!!
Used car used wheels!!
Either that or live with the damage that was probably on the wheels in the first place before they had bee repaired, i know what i would rarther look at??!!!!

You forgot to intruduce yourself to the AO Forum here & tell us a bit more about yourself http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/introduce-yourself/ :)

·
Super Moderator
86,122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
If the dealer are accepting that it is a fact the paint is peeling from the wheels a month after purchase, and are saying they don't think it's their responsibility to fix that... then I'm flabbergasted.
What does whether it's a safety issue have to do with it?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Used car used wheels!!
That is a rediculous statement to make. I would expect them to be sorted out by the dealer or the third party bodyshop who painted them in the fistplace at the very least, I would push for a competent bodyshop to fix them. It sounds like poor paint prep to me, the fact that they didn't have the sense to remove the wheels probably means they weren't keyed either

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to check that I am not going mad, would any reputable wheel refurbishment/paint company leave the wheels ON the car to respray them? I have never come across this before and it seems a really bad way of doing it considering that you will get overspray all over the brake parts.

If there is anyone on the forum that has had their wheels done or is in the business of refurbishing wheels, could you let me know please.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts