Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's Easter and all, but this is just silly....

Went to adjust the rattly tappets on the V6 yesterday. Took off the front bank cam cover and immediately spotted why it's so flippin' noisy. Bloody cam's knackered. All 3 exhaust lobes are worn and the cam followers are pitted and dished. (Inlets fine).

Rear bank is no doubt the same but I can't be bothered to take it apart and look.

Arse.

Less than 90k on the clock, full impeccable service history. What with this, yet another egg-shaped OZ Super T rim and 2 more knackered front tyres, must be time to scrap the bloody thing then.

Really getting quite :mad: with it now. Wish i'd never bought it.

W

·
0 Posts
How about that for supportive....nice one Ted :p :D

Chris...you're getting me worried now :rolleyes: Perhaps I won't bother taking the heads off just yet :eek:

wrinx

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nordic Blue said:
Sorry Chris i shouldn't of kicked you when you were down :) :eek:
No worries mate - I'm way past caring about this flippin' thing :rolleyes:

Starting to wonder if I can get away with some 164 cams in it.......I've got some of those in the garage.....

W

·
0 Posts
Sure I remember something about them not fitting...or was that the 3.0 cams :confused:

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
the first alfa job i did was a head change on a V6 it also had pitted cam buckets the only problem was one gave up altogther and smashed the head on its way out.!!!!!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Chris if yer get sorted with some camshaft`s any chance i can have the old one`s :D

Unless of course your gonna get em re-profiled ;) which is the main reason why i`m after a spare pair :rolleyes: :D

http://www.ahmotorsports.co.uk/index2.htm do a nice set of billet re-profiled Fast Road cams for £240 exchange (hence the need for a spare set of cams)

Am pretty sure the 164 cam`s wont fit the 155 head`s as there slightly longer but you can get em machined to fit according to Roger someone or other that Wrinx knows can`t remember off the top of me head what company he works for :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but i e mailed him a while ago and that`s what he said

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info speedy.....

...but I don't fancy regrinds to be honest. Main problems seem to be either lack of adjustment range to accommodate the drop in base circle diameter (currently struggling with this problem on a Lancia TC motor I'm building), or if they use metal spraying to build up then grind back to original spec, I'd worry about it falling off. I suppose if the wear wasn't too bad and just the exhaust lobes were done, it might just work, but there are too many 'ifs' in there for my taste and more importantly, my crappy luck.

And "from £450 + VAT" for billet...now that's just plain silly :rolleyes: Car ain't worth more than £1500 even if it was perfect.

Shame about the 164 cams not fitting without work though. The ones in my spare pair of 164 heads are fine. Maybe I should put that 3.0 I have sat in the garage in the car then.....

...hang about, that sounds familiar :D :D

I reckon this must be a common problem with the 12V V6 you know. Exhaust lobes are much narrower than the inlet ones, they operate the valve via a rocker with a ratio greater than 1:1 so assuming a similar valve spring, the pressure on the nose of the lobe must be way higher than the inlet. They also get a bit less oil than the inlets.

I'm starting to think that the "best V6 ever made" ain't so hot. I know a lot of folk who have had crank problems, valve guides are a constant problem, the hydraulinc timing belt tensioner is less than brilliant, I think the valve gear is suspect on the 12V and lets not even discuss the ridiculous timing belt wrap-angles on the 24V - no wonder they slip teeth and do the valves....

..still, it's better than an Essex or Cologne by a decent margin.

Ho hum. 'spose I'd best just suck it up and stop whinging. :rolleyes:

There's a really nice looking 164 3.0 parked nearby with a for sale sign in the window...maybe I should go look at it.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Ok so the tappets rattle a bit - it still goes doesn`t it? :)
Ok so the engine design has some 'issues' but unless you go Honda thats just par for the course on most engines. :)

It may not be as fast as it could be but its still a nice car - don`t give up on it! All you need is to keep your eyes open on the scrappers for a low milage donor. One is bound to turn up at soime point.

Until then, enjoy your Alfa, just slightly more sedately than you may have hoped for :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear what you're saying Chris - just blowing off a bit of steam I 'spose. I'd always intended to run it till it died of old age - just didn't expect the signs of it quite this soon...

It'll no doubt run another 90k before it gives any real trouble, just a bit noisy and a bit less poke as you say. Took a Rover V8 apart a few years back and couldn't believe just how cream-crackered the cam was - it ran ever so sweetly. I'll keep my eyes open for a suitable donor for now and hope to get lucky. Thankfully, I don't have to pay anyone for work on the car, just parts, so at least it's not as painful as it could be...

M

·
0 Posts
Someone on here was selling a V6 with a recently rebuilt engine for £300 ono. It needed a water pump. That'd be no probs for ya as you'll have a working pump on the motor you have now.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
marlon said:
Someone on here was selling a V6 with a recently rebuilt engine for £300 ono. It needed a water pump. That'd be no probs for ya as you'll have a working pump on the motor you have now.
Cheers Marlon....

...anyone know anything more about this one?? I'm listening.. :D

I'll try a search too.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Chris your motor must be slightly different to mine then as the cambelt tensioner on mine is manually adjusted :confused: :confused: and not hydraulic :confused: :confused:

Btw am sure the listing for the cams for the 12 valve engine said they were £240 a pair for fast road exchange :confused: :confused: or am i misreading it....................mine clatter`s like a clattery thing so guess the cams are in a similar state to yours but hey it still goes and still shift`s pretty quick :D even though i`ve nearly hit 158,000 miles :eek:

Beam me up Scottie :p :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
speed freak said:
Chris your motor must be slightly different to mine then as the cambelt tensioner on mine is manually adjusted :confused: :confused: and not hydraulic :confused: :confused:

Btw am sure the listing for the cams for the 12 valve engine said they were £240 a pair for fast road exchange :confused: :confused: or am i misreading it....................mine clatter`s like a clattery thing so guess the cams are in a similar state to yours but hey it still goes and still shift`s pretty quick :D even though i`ve nearly hit 158,000 miles :eek:

Beam me up Scottie :p :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
Hi Speedy,

You're probably right about the tensioner on our motor - I was thinking about the 164 12V and assuming the 155 was the same (I've not looked at one as yet). Standard mod on the 164 is to fit a mechanical one....

Cams - you are quite right, it was £240 + for the regrinds, exchange. Plus gaskets, plus £120 for a dozen cam followers plus worst case another £20 for shims...starts to look expensive.

Unless I can find a good spare engine, I think I'll just keep running it till it dies...

I'm looking at the V6 that Marlon pointed me at (cheers!), but even though it looks like a good deal, it's going to cost me a packet just to go and get it, so I'm just confused about what to do really. Just trying to sort out the wheels/tyres/engine as cheaply as I can without too much hassle. Engine will no doubt carry on for a good while, wheel situation needs sorting pretty soon though.

G

·
0 Posts
I wonder how worn my cams are since its had high lift cams in from new... jesus , better not look eh !!!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry guys - didn't meant to start a panic :( :(

If only they had hydraulic cam followers - I'd never have noticed....

Ignorance is bliss I reckon.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I've decided against the £300 V6 (sorry again Andy). Too many variables and too far away from me really to make sense (but looks like a good deal for anyone who feels like playing with a V6 for not much).

Back to square one, looking for a set of 15" rims and some earplugs for now.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi Guys funny old thing alfas I have just been talking to a friend of mine about the same thing -TAPPETS. mY OWN V6 is just or has been for a while now noisy in that department but still goes quite sweetly so you should`nt worry unduly Chris its also due for a cambelt at 160,000 so probably get that done though.Catless and chipped its going better than ever!Alfapat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts