Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone please help? I have spotted a chip tuning box on Amazon at £77.90 which offers 15-20% BHP and can fit myself. Will this item really work and will i have any problems after i fit it? i was priced £250 from a company to re-map my Alfa 2.0 GTV TS so this will save me if ok.....Here are the details. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Neil

• Power increase by 15 - 20%. Increase in torque by 30 - 65 Nm. Easier acceleration throughout the whole rev range, including higher gears.
• Quick, 5-10 minute installation. Plug & Drive - original plugs. The installation is simply connecting the plugs from the chip to the plugs next to the sensor (MAP Sensor, MAF Sensor or Air Temperature Sensor).
• Does not void your warranty as it is completely undetectable if removed before a service.
• You can install the chip box yourself. With our instructions it is fast and easy. When making inquiries or purchases, please, always provide the following information: - Car brand and model, - Engine type, Engine power (PS or KW), - Year of manufacture.
• WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR PURCHASE, WE NEED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION: - CAR MODEL, -ENGINE TYPE, - ENGINE POWER (PS/BHP/HP/KW), - YEAR OF MANUFACTURE.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Never mind whether these ProRacing X boxes actually work or not, the delivery times have got my alarm bells ringing.

'Usually dispatched within 2-3 days' & a 20 (!) day delivery window.

It'll be a generic box that needs programming on a laptop, OK - that takes a day at most. So if this guy is so busy that it takes 2-3 days to program & then send you your module, why isn't there masses of customer feedback for his products...? Surely one or two of his delighted customers would have taken the time to write a review?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't think it's a sophisticated as that. It plugs into the air temp sensor and tricks the ECU into thinking it's colder outside than it really is. The ECU enriches the air/fuel ratio. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't think it's a sophisticated as that. It plugs into the air temp sensor and tricks the ECU into thinking it's colder outside than it really is. The ECU enriches the air/fuel ratio. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
Indeed yes, I should have read the product description more thoroughly before posting. That makes the 2-3 day despatch even more worrying....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Remapping is usually much more effective than plug in boxes, as the map is tailored to the actual car you own. Plug in boxes only have a dramatic effect on a turbocharged car, it increasing the fuelling and boost pressure gives massive bhp gains.
Naturally-aspirated engines (i.e. Ours) are much harder to tune in this way and the gains (if any) will be quite small - normally 5% tops if you dont change any other components such as filters etc.
Save up for a remap if you must but give this a swerve.

Reactions: cgc
1 - 8 of 8 Posts