Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else watching this TV mini series ?

Its chilling, massive state propaganda, lies, misinformation and harrowing scenes of the sacrifice and deaths of so many of the people that sorted the disaster out.

The period costumes and depiction of live at that time brings the whole thing into a very interesting program.

Having worked in a radiation environment for 30 years the sound of the gieger counters buzzing makes my skin crawl

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
It is an addictive series. Frightening. I think it is the last one today so we shall be watching this evening.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I've been watching it, it's been incredible, easily one of the best docu-drama's I've seen, and it topped IMDB's TV chart after only 2 or 3 episodes

Also worth a read is Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy book - which complements the series quite nicely, as well as giving an insight into the aftermath, and what happened to all of the key players.

I've had an interest in the accident for some time, I visited Chernobyl back in 2017, and it was a staggering place, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - the costume designers and location scouts (some of it is actually filmed in Chernobyl) have done an awesome job.

Attachments

·
Vendor
45,946 Posts
Anyones wives/girlfriends enjoying it too, or is it more of a bloke's TV program?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I don't have Sky but so want to see this. So I'm going to subscribe to the HBO network via Amazon Prime for a 7 day free trial and watch them all over a week.

I've heard of a few female friends who are really enjoying it. My wife is wanting to watch it.

·
Vendor
45,946 Posts
I might suggest it to the Mrs then. We're about to finish the last season of Lost, which I've been trying to persuade her to watch for about ten years. :lol:

·
Administrator
87,188 Posts
Excellent mini series, but as previously mentioned it's chilling !

I watched the last episode (5) earlier.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I have all 5 episodes on the sky box. Started part 1 but stopped half way. Feel I need to start again. Got to be in the mood for this series I feel

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,419 Posts
It’s a tough watch, but extremely brilliant. I’m stuck on Ep4 currently, heard about the dog shooting scene and can’t pluck up the bravery to sit through it

Watching people dissolve in a hospital bed is fine, shooting dogs isn’t!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a program !

I read up about the causes of the reactor explosion and the sequence of events yesterday. It was all there in the final episode, word for word.

The dog scenes are hard but this is the reality of what would have happened, this place has animals again now i guess.
@amfalconer - that must have been really interesting, i didn't realize you could go there, fascinating.

Its a difficult program to watch but chilling - watching the men come out as heroes and knowing they will only have weeks to live.

Fab series

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Yes, incredible trip - and you're right the place is teeming with wildlife again, there's lots of stray dogs and cats milling about, all are tagged with radiation dosimeters so their health and radiation absorption can be monitored - whilst stray they love the tourists as they get well fed!

I think you've been able to visit since about 2011, and it's not expensive - I think a day trip was about 95USD, think the whole weekend, flights, accommodation and the trip was under £400, and Kiev (Kyiv) is a beautiful city, and it's so cheap.

Everyone thinks it's quiet and deserted, but far from the truth, and by now almost none of it's 'as left' it's all been moved about and fiddled with for the sake of 'arty' photos..

I'd reccomend it to anyone, but get in quick as I predict the tours will be booked solid, and prices will likely rise on the back of this HBO series!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been watching it, it's been incredible, easily one of the best docu-drama's I've seen, and it topped IMDB's TV chart after only 2 or 3 episodes

Also worth a read is Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy book - which complements the series quite nicely, as well as giving an insight into the aftermath, and what happened to all of the key players.

I've had an interest in the accident for some time, I visited Chernobyl back in 2017, and it was a staggering place, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - the costume designers and location scouts (some of it is actually filmed in Chernobyl) have done an awesome job.
I started reading Midnight in Chernobyl last night. Opening few pages are, well, real page-turners. Not sure how it will compare with Serhii Plokhy's work on it. I read his The Last Empire: The Last Days of the Soviet Union book. Found it very well researched, dense enough.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My missus loved it. It's written very well, there is at least one part changed to make the series/TV better and easier to follow perhaps but it is mentioned at then end and totally understandable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Watched it via NowTV. Brilliant - best series of any type I've seen.

Highly recommended for either sex - a well balanced blend of drama, gore, heroics and politics. The authenticity was fantastic and the audio...the rumbles, the shrieks of the geiger counters...eerie and unsettling.

The fact they used a g-counter that only went up to 3.5 so they thought "that ain't too bad". How wrong they were. Many "oh...fk..." moments.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Yes, incredible trip - and you're right the place is teeming with wildlife again, there's lots of stray dogs and cats milling about, all are tagged with radiation dosimeters so their health and radiation absorption can be monitored - whilst stray they love the tourists as they get well fed!

I think you've been able to visit since about 2011, and it's not expensive - I think a day trip was about 95USD, think the whole weekend, flights, accommodation and the trip was under £400, and Kiev (Kyiv) is a beautiful city, and it's so cheap.

Everyone thinks it's quiet and deserted, but far from the truth, and by now almost none of it's 'as left' it's all been moved about and fiddled with for the sake of 'arty' photos..

I'd reccomend it to anyone, but get in quick as I predict the tours will be booked solid, and prices will likely rise on the back of this HBO series!
Yeh! Great idea! Why don’t you take your kids as well - the younger the better! In fact, why not your pregnant partner - f. Idiots!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Yeh! Great idea! Why don’t you take your kids as well - the younger the better! In fact, why not your pregnant partner - f. Idiots!
First off, wind your effing neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

Secondly, the radiation absorbed is no more than you'd absorb on a 2 or 3 hour aeroplane flight. The half-life of the worst emitting 'nuclear' Caesium 137 particles is 30 years, coupled with the fact that 33 years of rainfall and other ecological growth means most dangerous particles that escaped cleaning are now well underground.

We took along a dosimeter/geiger counter and at no point did we encounter anything remotely scary, and most of the time, nothing more than background radiation - approx 0.13 microsieverts, same as you'd find anywhere else in the UK

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times - Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

oh, and as predicted: https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/chernobyl-tourism-spikes-40-success-tv-adaptation-9853460/

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
First off, wind effing your neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

Secondly, the radiation absorbed is no more than you'd absorb on a 2 or 3 hour aeroplane flight. The half-life of the worst emitting 'nuclear' Caesium 137 particles is 30 years, coupled with the fact that 33 years of rainfall and other ecological growth means most dangerous particles that escaped cleaning are now well underground.

We took along a dosimeter/geiger counter and at no point did we encounter anything remotely scary, and most of the time, nothing more than background radiation - approx 0.13 microsieverts, same as you'd find anywhere else in the UK

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

oh, and as predicted: https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/chernobyl-tourism-spikes-40-success-tv-adaptation-9853460/
I don't think I would want to go...but it's a free world.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts