Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Rang about a 156 1.8TS today, advert stated S.H. and I asked the salesman to run down the history for me. All done at Benfield on 12000 miles every year (car has 69k on the clock on an X). Sounded good.

Asked about the cam belt, met with
Salesman "No, 72,000 miles on these cars",
I retorted, "Are you sure? I know a little about Alfas and I know Alfa recommend 36000 or every 3 years whichever is sooner. Ok, I think I'll give it a miss, but thank you".
Salesman, "What do you mean? You haven't asked if I'll do it!",
me "OK if I buy the car would a full belts service be done before I took delivery?"
salesman "Well you're obviously not the man for this car so goodbye" then hung-up.

I was going to ask him for the reg so I could contact Benfield directly to check on the work done to the car and was very interested in it.

Frustratingly the car looks a good one and has had one owner from new but that level of service (bearing in mind this was a courtesy call about the car) was terrible.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Which garage?

*Edit* - Found it!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
It looks nice and tidy but has strange spec - Wood trim would indicate Lusso but cloth seats say otherwise... The selespeed wheels aren't original... it has crappy budget tyres... it's far to expensive.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
It looks nice and tidy but has strange spec - Wood trim would indicate Lusso but cloth seats say otherwise... The selespeed wheels aren't original... it has crappy budget tyres... it's far to expensive.
Well there it is. A (what sounds like) mish mash of Alfa's and thankfully one which I've avoided.

Back to my search.

Cheers

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Well there it is. A (what sounds like) mish mash of Alfa's and thankfully one which I've avoided.
The upgraded wheels aren't a problem. Everything else is IMHO questionable.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
If it looks good and you have the reg number, you could contact Benfield to see what has been done. If you like the car your best bet would be to negotiate the price down then get the belts done by your own indie or dealer as that way you will have more confidence its been done correctly. Don't let the selling dealer do the belt. They will either do it on the cheap, or c*ck it up (unless they are an Alfa dealer ...I hadn't thought of that.:D)

In a way it doesn't matter if the belt has or has not been done, as if I bought a TS then i'd get the cam belt done ASAP anyway unless there was very very good evidence of a recent belt change done by reputable people. At 69k its due the 2nd change anyway.

Used car dealers are going down the pan left right and centre. Not only is the credit crunch hitting them, but they are being stuffed by the car scrappage scheme, which benefits main dealers only. So...I'd nip down and have a look, not mentioning you had called. If you like it make a silly offer.......you never know...you can always up it a bit Just do your 156 homework on here to know what to look for. The one owner thing counts for quite a lot IMHO. I'd check out the radiator for rust as a bye the bye.

Good luck, its sounds quite nice from what you say.

AlfaLincs

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
If it looks good and you have the reg number, you could contact Benfield to see what has been done. If you like the car your best bet would be to negotiate the price down then get the belts done by your own indie or dealer as that way you will have more confidence its been done correctly. Don't let the selling dealer do the belt. They will either do it on the cheap, or c*ck it up (unless they are an Alfa dealer ...I hadn't thought of that.:D)

In a way it doesn't matter if the belt has or has not been done, as if I bought a TS then i'd get the cam belt done ASAP anyway unless there was very very good evidence of a recent belt change done by reputable people. At 69k its due the 2nd change anyway.

Used car dealers are going down the pan left right and centre. Not only is the credit crunch hitting them, but they are being stuffed by the car scrappage scheme, which benefits main dealers only. So...I'd nip down and have a look, not mentioning you had called. If you like it make a silly offer.......you never know...you can always up it a bit Just do your 156 homework on here to know what to look for. The one owner thing counts for quite a lot IMHO. I'd check out the radiator for rust as a bye the bye.

Good luck, its sounds quite nice from what you say.

AlfaLincs

Thanks AlfaLincs but I seem to have had some good advice on it and will give it a swerve. Also the attitude of the salesman was poor so I'd not like to do business with them, and I have a 02 147 (anyone interested PM me and I'll send details) to part-ex or sell privately that needs to come into the equation at some point.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Your call....personally I'd go and have a look if only because you can never look at too many Alfas, and as a bonus you get to wind the up the twok of a salesman:lol: As for cloth seats on a Lusso..why not? Plenty did have and some prefer them.

The one owner thing suggests to me it has not been a PITA car (unlike the salesman).

I'm in hangover mode as the 2.4 had a service and new cambelt yesterday, and water pump...and auxiliary tensioner and belt..which all mounted up to quite a card warping amount, but hey its running like a top:)

Hope you find a nice one anyway

AlfaLincs

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
NOTE:

Actually checked on car with Benfield and they know it from 12000 miles. Everything checked out with them for services and MoT's but does need the 72k service.

Damn!

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Did you specifically ask Benfield if they had done the cambelt?

They may well have done, as the interval has been 36k for 4 years now.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Did you specifically ask Benfield if they had done the cambelt?

They may well have done, as the interval has been 36k for 4 years now.
Yes. Benfield confirmed done belt service for 36k. Car has actually had it's 72k service but not the belts. At least belts not done at Benfield (that's my latest thought in my JD fuelled mind).
:(

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
If you really want the car go and haggle with the salesman.

You might be able to get enough off the asking price to cover the belt change.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
If you really want the car go and haggle with the salesman.

You might be able to get enough off the asking price to cover the belt change.
I would but I've got my 1.6 TS 147 Lusso on an 02 with S.H., 12 months mot, 6 tax, just done service with Thompatruck1 and 66k on the clock in very very good condition to either sell or straight swap.

A few more drinks is needed.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
If I may be excused for asking...Why change at all ? Do you need to change or have you just got the itch to change and move up an engine size. I mean the 156 sounds Kosher enough as I suspected it might be, but you know its always going to cost you money to change a car.

At the end of the day, if you want the car decide what you can afford and go and talk to the garage. They will want to deal, but there has to be money in it for them somewhere, so its just a matter of whether you can hammer out something that suits you both. You don't have to decide on the day, thinking time is usually worth it.

In the current market a 147 is not an easy private sale, unless someone on here is keen, so a trade might be the only quick way of swapping..but as we have observed, it needs a cambelt ASAP.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
If I'm looking at the right advert, I reckon you could probably get it for £1,800. Body work looks mint and no scuffs on the rims. About £250 for belt change?

Go for it, you've got nothing lose if you really want it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm, all good points and I need to look at the motor and see what I can get.

Keep you posted if I can strike a deal

·
Registered
644 Posts
That 156 caught my eye last week, its at the garage round the corner from where i work and i spotted it about 6 in the morning after finishing my shift......certainly looks smart enough!

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Sod it, I'm giving it a miss. Nice looking car and is probably 100% straight but after thinking about the salesman's attitude to a simple query I wonder what their attitude would be like if something went wrong with the car?

Not worth the hassle. I'll wait till next year and get a 159 SW.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts