Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Not much in my experience. On my Jag, the difference is too small to record and it's the same on the CRV. It was different on my Mini, purely because it was usually peeing out of the bottom somewhere. That was more to do with the time lapsed than the temperature.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I always check when it's cold, but more so out of habit than based on any real scientific fact. Being sure that the car is on a 100% level surface is more important. I checked the oil in Maud the other day and it read 50% above the MAX marker. I wasn't parked on what I would call a slope, although the car would just about roll if persuaded with a bit of a push. Once on the 'level' the reading was just below the MAX mark where I expected it to be.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I always check when cold, but my manual tells me to check it warm after a drive.

Get it up to operating temperature and then wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always check when cold, but my manual tells me to check it warm after a drive.

Get it up to operating temperature and then wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan.
That's what the driver's manual tells me to do but I've always checked the oil before I go for a drive when the engine is cold. Wait 10 or 20 minutes then check... I've got other things to do once the engine is switched off and the alarm set.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
That's what the driver's manual tells me to do but I've always checked the oil before I go for a drive when the engine is cold. Wait 10 or 20 minutes then check... I've got other things to do once the engine is switched off and the alarm set.
Don't think the minuscule difference in the hot or cold level will be either noticeable or do any harm.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I suppose depending on how shortly after switching off the car some of the oil will still be in the engine and not sump so it may appear less than reality?

Reactions: duemila

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my biggest problem is actually reading the level on this car. Skoda in their wisdom have a metal dipstick with a plastic level indicator on the end of it. An engine oil coloured plastic level indicator ! I have to get my reading glasses out to make head or tail of it. :mad: :lol:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
You blind :censored: ! :lol:

You check the oil after filling up and paying for fuel.
Did you never own a TwinSpark?!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I think my biggest problem is actually reading the level on this car. Skoda in their wisdom have a metal dipstick with a plastic level indicator on the end of it. An engine oil coloured plastic level indicator ! I have to get my reading glasses out to make head or tail of it. :mad: :lol:
Same here. :)

I don't know whether it's to do with old eyes, or modern thinner oil, but I recall I didn't have much of a problem reading the dipstick in the past.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
I think my biggest problem is actually reading the level on this car. Skoda in their wisdom have a metal dipstick with a plastic level indicator on the end of it. An engine oil coloured plastic level indicator ! I have to get my reading glasses out to make head or tail of it.

Must be a VAG thing because my ancient Audi was the same. I painted the end with white paint.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Do a series of tests and measure the result. One measurement while cold every day and another measurement while hot after driving every day. Then you can get exact statistical data measuring the difference. Do this every week for the next year and youll have concrete irrefutable data confirming one way or another what the difference is spanning a whole year which you can share with everyone :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Do a series of tests and measure the result. One measurement while cold every day and another measurement while hot after driving every day. Then you can get exact statistical data measuring the difference. Do this every week for the next year and youll have concrete irrefutable data confirming one way or another what the difference is spanning a whole year which you can share with everyone :biglaugh:

You have way to much time om your hands Fred !

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Must be a VAG thing because my ancient Audi was the same. I painted the end with white paint.
I have thought about painting the end but not sure about the effect of peeling paint (because it is bound to peel) inside the oil. The Skoda forum I sometimes visit have a discussion on exactly this, they all chickened out from painting the dipstick for exactly this reason :lol:

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:thinking:

Neighbours already think I'm paranoid about the oil level :lol: I'll get sectioned if I do that ! :cheese:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
What's the point in checking cold oil?

You can't stir-fry anything using cold oil :silly:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
:thinking:

Neighbours already think I'm paranoid about the oil level :lol: I'll get sectioned if I do that ! :cheese:
You can never be too careful about engine oil. Examine it protect it nourish and make it grow in turn it will nourish and enrich you in return. Oil is the lifeblood of your car and indeed of our own lives as we speak :bandit:

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
I have thought about painting the end but not sure about the effect of peeling paint (because it is bound to peel) inside the oil. The Skoda forum I sometimes visit have a discussion on exactly this, they all chickened out from painting the dipstick for exactly this reason :lol:
We're talking about a tiny amount of paint and if it did peel off the strainer on the pick up or the filter would catch it before it could do any harm. The amount involved isn't enough to block either.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts