Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new owner of a mito 155bhp 2009 having had it for just over a year. Got a steering wheel warning message the other day. Have checked here and have seen it may need a column replacement but wanted to check steering fluid levels if possible before taking it in. Can someone please describe where under the bonnet this is. Many thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's an electric system, no fluid ;)

The power steering cutting out is a known problem, mine does it every few months or so, might get the column sent off when it goes in for its next service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Took it to a garage that checked battery and said there was no leaks in the fluid. May be the column issue people are describing. Will see if the issue persists in the next couple of days as was told by a mechanic that the issue may have been a one off occurance as hadn't used the car for a couple of months prior to today.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks. Took it to a garage that checked battery and said there was no leaks in the fluid. May be the column issue people are describing. Will see if the issue persists in the next couple of days as was told by a mechanic that the issue may have been a one off occurance as hadn't used the car for a couple of months prior to today.
How old is the battery?

My battery went after 4 years, and I think quite a few people here got a similar amount of time out of theirs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is the battery?

My battery went after 4 years, and I think quite a few people here got a similar amount of time out of theirs.
Battery was only 2 years old. Mechanics tested it though and came back good so totally bemused as to what else caused this warning light for the steering other than the feared column replacement. My car is on around 54000 miles now but as I say it was the first time this has happened. I'm hoping this isn't a continual problem.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Thats the only thing that can really cause the warning as there is no fluid in the system, its electric. However you can get refurbished steering columns for £150 so its not a huge drama.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Run the engine with multiecuscan monitoring the battery voltage. It should be over 14v at all times. Turn the steering wheel from left to right and make sure the battery doesn't drop below 13v. If it does it is most likely to be the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts