Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to fit some koni reds to my s2 spider... However i am not sure about the current standard springs... is there a quick way of checking their function?

Also does any one run koni reds on standard springs?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Koni classics are good for standard springs - about half stiff on front and quarter or less on back but it depends on your preferences, check ride heights against other Spiders , I replaced my rears because it was bottoming out on big bumps, if yours feels OK it probably is OK but try it fully loaded (passenger and small child and a bootfull) and see what happens. You have to take the springs off to get to the (rear) shockers anyway so you might as well replace them as they don't cost much.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers... i have no idea how long the springs have been on the car, could they be original? also I did not know that koni did springs?

I don't want the car too low or too high nor do I want a hard ride...:paranoid: Hence the koni reds and standard springs set up? It would cost me 40 quid to have all four springs blasted and repainted if they are still in good order..

Koni classics are good for standard springs - about half stiff on front and quarter or less on back but it depends on your preferences, check ride heights against other Spiders , I replaced my rears because it was bottoming out on big bumps, if yours feels OK it probably is OK but try it fully loaded (passenger and small child and a bootfull) and see what happens. You have to take the springs off to get to the (rear) shockers anyway so you might as well replace them as they don't cost much.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
As far as I know, Koni do not do springs - just shocks for cars or shocks with springs for motorcycles

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Cheers... i have no idea how long the springs have been on the car, could they be original? also I did not know that koni did springs?

I don't want the car too low or too high nor do I want a hard ride...:paranoid: Hence the koni reds and standard springs set up? It would cost me 40 quid to have all four springs blasted and repainted if they are still in good order..
Sorry bad grammar - Koni classics are the red shockers not springs, they don't do springs - I find the standard springs are just fine for a nice ride and good handling, unless the front is drooping or bottoming I'd just do the rears - try a fully loaded test as I described, if your going to the effort of removing them I'd replace them anyway. while your about it you might as well replace the bushes, that makes a a big difference if they are tired

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers... I'll do the test and see how it is... Good shout on the rear bushes.......

My list gets longer for santa and jobs too do!

Sorry bad grammar - Koni classics are the red shockers not springs, they don't do springs - I find the standard springs are just fine for a nice ride and good handling, unless the front is drooping or bottoming I'd just do the rears - try a fully loaded test as I described, if your going to the effort of removing them I'd replace them anyway. while your about it you might as well replace the bushes, that makes a a big difference if they are tired

·
Registered
232 Posts
A lot of these cars will have had older "restorations" with various components of various vintages...for example, both my front spring pans were completely (dangerously) corroded through....I am a firm believer in getting someone who knows what they are doing working on brakes and suspension in particular! its not just the fitting of the correct components, it is just as important to have it set up correctly.

When i bought my GTV, I also did lots of soul searching about suspension setups, etc and in the event, dropped the cart off at Alfaholics and had them fit their fast road kit, new wheels, etc. IIRC all bushes had been fitted according to their recommendations and the car is now setup beautifully.

Likewise, Alex Jupe does all the work on my Alfa transaxles...the experts know what they are doing and do it day in and day out. Just my 5p.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Depends on your ability (and time) really - there isn't anything too complex about Alfa suspension that cant be sorted by a competent DIY'r with the right tools, however stuff like tracking (which can make a big difference) needs to be done by someone who really knows their onions - not Kwikbodge..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts