Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I haven't been on these forums for a while. Used to have a 147 years and years ago, never quite lost the Alfa bug.
Tonight I am going to look at a 159. From pics, it looks beautiful. it is a 1.8 petrol Lusso, black leather, red paint miles are fairly high though, just over 81k.

Any advice on things to look out for? Going to verify when/if the cambelt and pump was done (should be 75k or 5 years, right?)

I am looking forward to driving it, even if I don't go for it (I have seen another that I like, just not quite as much as this one!)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I have had a quick look at the MOT tracker site and seen a few advisories on there...
The rear sub-frame and both rear suspension arms are corroded.

Anyone know what kinda cost this would be should these fail next time?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I imagine they're just advisories, the subframe and rear arms on mine looked dreadful, but it was only surface rust, they're pretty substantial parts.

I don't think 81k miles is particularly high mind given the latest of these cars will be knocking on 12 years old soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I imagine they're just advisories, the subframe and rear arms on mine looked dreadful, but it was only surface rust, they're pretty substantial parts.

I don't think 81k miles is particularly high mind given the latest of these cars will be knocking on 12 years old soon.
You are right, they were only advisories, so likely to be just surface

Check the rear Sills as body work is expensive.

Rear Subframe £130, trailing arms £180 the pair .
I'll check the sills all round, but are the rear sills rusting common?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Use the advisor’s to chip the price down, the front subframe is usually the killer on these cars and becoming hard to find to replace.
If the under tray is still on the car an MOT tester cannot see if it’s shot during the test so you might want to investigate yourself.
Service history is a huge plus as said there all a good few years old now so a good service history and a well cared for car can benefit enormously, good luck with viewing and if your not one hundred percent sure walk away there will be another one out there and be prepared to travel for the right car so many people don’t look outside there local area which is a big mistake.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use the advisor’s to chip the price down, the front subframe is usually the killer on these cars and becoming hard to find to replace.
If the under tray is still on the car an MOT tester cannot see if it’s shot during the test so you might want to investigate yourself.
Service history is a huge plus as said there all a good few years old now so a good service history and a well cared for car can benefit enormously, good luck with viewing and if your not one hundred percent sure walk away there will be another one out there and be prepared to travel for the right car so many people don’t look outside there local area which is a big mistake.
Advisories I was looking at to get the price down, great minds and all that.

I will check the tray on the front, it seems odd to me that MOT garages wouldn't find a way to check around a tray, especially if it could actually be dangerous!

It has been serviced recently, I am hoping along with a cambelt and water pump change, we shall see.

Finally, the last point, the other one I have seen (but not in person) is about 3 hours away. I am willing to travel for the right deal. I am more than happy with walking away, I don't even need a car very often anymore. This is the main reason I am now looking at something I will love rather than my boring but good car I have now

·
Registered
404 Posts
Advisories I was looking at to get the price down, great minds and all that.

I will check the tray on the front, it seems odd to me that MOT garages wouldn't find a way to check around a tray, especially if it could actually be dangerous!

It has been serviced recently, I am hoping along with a cambelt and water pump change, we shall see.

Finally, the last point, the other one I have seen (but not in person) is about 3 hours away. I am willing to travel for the right deal. I am more than happy with walking away, I don't even need a car very often anymore. This is the main reason I am now looking at something I will love rather than my boring but good car I have now
If you go to see the one three ours away I find a good ploy is to ring up explaining you will have a three hour treck so what is there bottom line on the car? this way you normally get money off before even seeing the car then you can usually find something they hadn’t disclosed about the car and you can haggle some more off hopefully 👍

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you go to see the one three ours away I find a good ploy is to ring up explaining you will have a three hour treck so what is there bottom line on the car? this way you normally get money off before even seeing the car then you can usually find something they hadn’t disclosed about the car and you can haggle some more off hopefully 👍
Oh, good call! I will use that one for sure, if I go to see it

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
An MoT doesn't take a garage long, they're not going to bother checking under the tray. Unless it's loose they won't even care and if it's removed totally they don't care either.

I came fairly close to going to see this car 2007 Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 MPI Turismo 4dr SALOON Petrol Manual | eBay but keeping my existing shopping cart made too much sense so I didn't go in the end. Some will say the basic engine is [email protected] as it's basically an unfetted Vauxhall engine but if you actually like the car then it doesn't matter much.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As mentioned, subframes front and rear are worrying areas. The parts are available but getting expensive as supply dries up. I'd also be looking at the state of the tyres as an indication of worn suspension arms at the front and/or poor tracking. Service history obviously and signs of repairs to bodywork. Seat wear - more of an issue on Ti's. Has it got both keys? Replacement can be expensive. Check all the electrics. Window failure common but pretty cheap to fix a broken regulator (you should be able to hear the motors going). Headlights are poor unless you've got Bi-Xenons, all benefit from a perspex polish. Expect stone chips and lacquer peel if it's red. If the owner is amenable and you've got access to one, chuck and OBD reader on it to look for any stored or pending faults.
Guy

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,987 Posts
Obviously I don't know what you are driving now and how it might compare but at around 1500 kilo plus and just 140 horses and a 10.2 second dash to 60, I hope you don't find it too slow to drive as you like to drive...
You could probably find a 2.2JTS or even the rare 1.9JTS for similar money....or even the 2.0 JTDm if dervs don't offend you....all of which would make mincemeat of the 1.8 on the road. I realise that to many there is much more to a car that how fast it is.

On the plus side its low miles (for year) and its a proper ALFA colour and the nice Lusso spec!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I drove it, and I liked it.
The wheels need some work and it looks like there is a small amount of (I assume) lacquer peeling on one door and the tracking felt out slightly.
I left without buying it. They are going to message me with a deal, so it is in their hands.

Overall, it was a nice drive, lovely car and other than one scuff on the arm rest beautiful on the inside. If they get the price right when they come back to me then I'll buy it, but I'm happy to wait for the next one if it's not right.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
2007 Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTS Turismo 4dr Saloon Petrol Manual | eBay

That's been on sale awhile, says the rear (sub?) frame has been replaced too... The 1.9 JTS incurs pretty whopping road tax however!

Also a very cheap 2.2 JTS https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108116125501?advertising-location=at_cars&model=159&postcode=ss170jy&make=ALFA ROMEO&ulez-compliant=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1500&transmission=Manual&include-delivery-option=on&sort=price-asc&page=1

Both are in Peterborough...

Damn the 159 is such a good looking car even when approaching banger territory!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So they did come back to me with the right price. Driving away is a great tactic! It may not be the fastest by a long mile, but I'm not a very fast driver anyway. It is about the same as my current car, so I'm not overly fussed. It is pretty, as most Alfas are.

I'm picking it up next Wednesday. Only issue now is I need to find somewhere to do the cambelt (I couldn't see when it was done last, so I'm not risking it!)

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,987 Posts
2007 Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTS Turismo 4dr Saloon Petrol Manual | eBay

That's been on sale awhile, says the rear (sub?) frame has been replaced too... The 1.9 JTS incurs pretty whopping road tax however!

Also a very cheap 2.2 JTS https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108116125501?advertising-location=at_cars&model=159&postcode=ss170jy&make=ALFA ROMEO&ulez-compliant=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1500&transmission=Manual&include-delivery-option=on&sort=price-asc&page=1

Both are in Peterborough...

Damn the 159 is such a good looking car even when approaching banger territory!
£340 road tax on a 2.2!....that's a lot....double what it costs to tax my allegedly filthy and planet killing diesel 159!
Mind you the Merc I'm looking at is £600 a year....I prefer to think of it as £50 a month....much more reasonable!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
£340 road tax on a 2.2!....that's a lot....double what it costs to tax my allegedly filthy and planet killing diesel 159!
Mind you the Merc I'm looking at is £600 a year....I prefer to think of it as £50 a month....much more reasonable!
Tax is insane on some cars yes...

The last 3.2 GT also have the insane £600 a year bracket!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

The tax is getting silly, when I bought my 2.2 it was £100 less than that and same for the V6 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Always the best tactic with a garage to walk away and let them make the next move, but so hard to do if you have been searching for a long time as I was with my Spider, or your unfortunate enough for someone to walk in later and beat you to it.
Car sales like to play their games, like there is someone else coming look at the car later sir, or the offer you have made they try to tell you it owes them more than that, if you can hold your nerve and call there bluff it usually pays dividend as it has with you so congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Always the best tactic with a garage to walk away and let them make the next move, but so hard to do if you have been searching for a long time as I was with my Spider, or your unfortunate enough for someone to walk in later and beat you to it.
Car sales like to play their games, like there is someone else coming look at the car later sir, or the offer you have made they try to tell you it owes them more than that, if you can hold your nerve and call there bluff it usually pays dividend as it has with you so congrats and enjoy.
Yea, I know what you mean. My thinking was that I don't currently need a car, so if that did happen to me it was fine. The good thing for me is that it was a small garage who wants to move stock

In a way, even if they said someone else was coming to look, the deal wasn't right there and then, so I still would have walked.

I'm so excited to get my second Alfa!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts