Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I had my car in for a timing belt and the garage said I had a broken wheel bearing.

You all know that certain garages try to make money from unexpecting customers so i decided to see for myself if it was broken.

I jacked up each corner and spun each tyre hard and could not hear any cluncking noise and the tryes seem secure and not wobbly.

Anyone with more experience advise if I'm checking properly please.

I think the garage is trying to make money.

2007 alfa 147.

Thanks guys:confused:

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Failed wheel bearings ususally give a rumbling sound which gets louder if you corner and load up the side thats failed.
To check, with the wheel off the floor check for play both side to side and up and down, you wont always get play if its just starting to go and then spin the wheel and listen for a rumbling noise, and when the wheel is spinning hold the coil spring, you will feel the roughnes through the spring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply,

Its due to go for an MOT next month, will I just wait and see what feedback I get?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
you wont feel any play as they are square bearings and held tight by the driveshaft anyway......you will feel it via spring if u place a finger on it as u spin the wheel........above all the noise as you drive is a give away

1 - 4 of 4 Posts