Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you tell if the BMC CDA airfilter needs cleaning, and then how do you do it?

mine was a used item when bought, no idea if it needs a clean yet, but i have no idea how to check it either.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Any old air filter cleaning kit should be fine. Do a search, Cragmaz69 did an excellent CDA cleaning guide on here.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Here's what I do with my CDA every 20k miles. It's very pedantic but probably the ultimate way to ensure it is clean, dry and no damage occurs to the AFM.

I would recommend buying the correct washing kit and oil as the CDA is too expensive to risk damaging. Likewise the AFM could get wrecked if you are not careful enough.

First remove and disassemble the CDA, then knock out all the loose dirt and vacuum clean the inside of the filter. Only then use the supplied solvent to clean up the filter and rinse in plenty of cold or luke-warm water. Shake it dry and then leave in the airing cupboard overnight to thoroughly dry. Then use the supplied oil to retreat the filter. Leave for a few hours to soak in and then wipe away any excess oil. Clean up the rest of the CDA kit and then reassemble, coating the joints with a thin smear of oil too.

Refit to the car, but leave out the AFM completely from the air-intake. If you can seal the intake without the AFM but leave the electrical connector in you should be able to get the car to run very roughly for a few mins. Only then fully reassemble the air-intake complete with AFM. This avoids any excess oil from the filter ended up ruining your AFM.

You could always use a spare knackered AFM in series for the same purpose.

If you have to unplug the AFM and run the engine the car will light the MIL Engine light and have a fault code which will need to be cleared, or may clear itself after 10 ignitions.

Finally remove the -ve terminal of the battery for 45 mins, then reconnect.

Turn the ignition on without starting the engine for 60 seconds without touching any of the pedals. Switch off and then restart the engine, again without touching any pedals. Leave to fully warm up and then take the car for a spin, recalibrating your engine to the way you want to drive.

Also worth cleaning the throttle valve at the same time with carb cleaner or a petrol-soaked squirrel pelt.​

Having said all that I once over-oiled the CDA and had so much excess oil it dripped in a big red pool, but even that did no damage to my AFM. The CDA rocks!

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
ATF is also good for re oiling any cotton type filters :)

with the MAF i would remove it from the car for ten minutes and let the engine pull the excess oil out of the filter :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
how do you tell if the BMC CDA airfilter needs cleaning, and then how do you do it?

mine was a used item when bought, no idea if it needs a clean yet, but i have no idea how to check it either.
CDA Cleaning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted this quick guide last year, hope it helps!!!:thumbs:

Hi all,

Took a very deep breath this morning and decided to strip my CDA, on my 10v JTD and give it a good clean (Gulp!!! )

Turns out it was well easy (and well SH****D Up as well!),

Dismantled all the intake pipes, removed MAF, and dropped it down past intercooler pipes and got out from below.
Removed filter from Carbon case and soaked in cleaning solution for 10mins, then washed thoroughly in warm water, left it to dry naturally (about half hour), Re-oiled sparingly, left to soak for 10 mins, then refit into Case and rebuilt all pipework minus the MAF.
Started her up and let her idle for 10 mins or so, occasionally blipping throttle, to ensure excess oil is blasted away.
Refit MAF and that was it, took her for a test drive and super responsive again with lovely Whooshing sountrack

good for another year now, excellent!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts