Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be for the techie area but just wondering if it's worth (if seller has no issue) connecting a Bluetooth (ELM OBD2 compatible I think) dongle to a 159 and using software (in this case Car Scanner on a Windows 10 Mobile) to check for any error codes etc. I've not used it at all (not sure if I can use it to read the other half's car partly because I've not bought the Bluetooth bit yet)...

Any thoughts? Risks/benefits?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure if I understood your question the right way, but you're wondering if a BT dongle will work well reading errors?
My personal experience says otherwise, I have a OBD 2 BT dongle at home which didn't work very well.
In fact, it shut down my 159 while driving, two times.
I'd rather buy an ELM 327 and use it with Delphi software and/or MES.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I can recommend to use this one: OBDlink LX Bluetooth Interface

No issues at all with respect to interfering in service, nor draining the battery. For me it works fine in conjuction with the AlfaOBD app from the Playstore as I’ve a Android phone. Each time the ignition is switched on, the BT will connect automatically. The device is full time connected but switches off after taking the ignition key out.

Yet, if I’d have had a Windows phone, then I would check the possibilities to use it with MultiEcuScan. Not sure if the portable version is allowing you to execute the same as the laptop version, which is pretty complete, but that would be even better I think than with AlfaOBD. Still latter is also a very fine product to have at hands.

For me it’s all about not wanting to depend on any garage from the corner in case there would be an emergency down the road. If you’ve found a bad one, they would charge you steeply and leave you with a headache probably...

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
£30 ...for an app? Needs to be good for that.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
£30 ...for an app? Needs to be good for that.
The one I'm looking at is free on Windows Phone (although I got the Pro for version for a couple of quid using my "free" Microsoft Account rewards. I'm wanting to use it with a plug-in bluetooth ELM adapter similar to what you can get on Amazon - I don't need fully featured, but it seems pretty comprehensive.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If the whole world keeps looking for getting their stuff for almost free or nothing, we’ll all be soon out of jobs. Think about that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts