Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2.0l 147 selespeed. Gears won't select - car in repair shop for 6 wks with no joy...their best guess is replace actuator (robot) at $4-5kNZ. Not an option for me unless all else fails. Have bought a cable from rarebear and downlosded FES - all running well :) Errors are 1747 and 1748 indicating pressure control solenoid A short circuit and EPC malfunction respectively. Can anyone advise how to go about physically checking these parts (i.e. which one is PCS A? for instance). Clutch rod is also out (31.5mm) so I will need to adjust that which I think I can do after reading all the help and advice here :thumbs:
I'm a bit out of my depth with the electronics side being more old school (1971 Dodge Challenger :cool:) but I'm sure I should be able to get this sorted with help from this forum.
Thanks in advance

L

·
0 Posts
follow this link:

Alfa Romeo Selespeed - Home

its got very detailed info with regards to the Actuator.

To me it sounds like you have a faulty position sensor, there are 3. The clutch sensor is used most of all. If that is faulty then you won;t be able to select N or any gear. BUT if any of the 3 senors are faulty the system won't work

Can you tell us what does work?

Pump turns on & off?
Pressure? 45bar to 55bar ? pressures below & above indicates a fault

L

·
0 Posts
follow this link:

Alfa Romeo Selespeed - Home

its got very detailed info with regards to the Actuator.

To me it sounds like you have a faulty position sensor, there are 3. The clutch sensor is used most of all. If that is faulty then you won;t be able to select N or any gear. BUT if any of the 3 senors are faulty the system won't work

Can you tell us what does work?

Pump turns on & off?
Pressure? 45bar to 55bar ? pressures below & above indicates a fault

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response - Pump works as normal when drivers door opens. I was able to get into first and second to take car to garage but cant select anything now I have it back home (came home on a transporter. When I turn key on it shows 1st ...can briefly show 2nd on display but then back to 1st but in all cases there is no actual gear being selected - the car stays in neutral. cannot get to neutral on display so can't start car. I know this is going to be a cool project - enjoy learning new stuff about cars:thumbs:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I take the sensor out to test it, should I be looking at resistance or voltage or something else - it's not that clear in the Denyer site. What will be the telltale sign that it is not working? Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dino Enterprises in Cambridge is an importer of Fiat and Alfa parts (Ph 07-827-8918), and they sell second hand parts too. If you have to replace the actuator, check with them, you should be able to get one a lot cheaper than the $4 - 5k you mentioned above.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know - thanks Rrascal.

1200 ohm...I'll check that once I get the sensor off - have every tool but the right allen Key so have to head into town and get one

L

·
0 Posts
1200 is mid range, they full range is 0 to 2500 ohmns, its wrote on the sensor

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Righto, have PFC2C/00 - 0802BE sensor in my hand...3 pins, A, B and c. A-B 1243 ohms, A-C 999 ohms B-C zero to 2 ohms. I haven't done this before but checked several times and got consistent readings. How does that sound?

L

·
0 Posts
try twisting the > < shaped connection in the centre of the sensor & re-measure, looking for open circuits mid movement/twisting

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get no change on pins A-B, they read 1243 ohms constant. Pins A-C change from 999 up to about 1800 half way through turn then the ohms drom off to 1 for the remainder of the turn (from half turn to fully turned to its limit). Does that sound right?
I haven't taken the actuator off yet and want to test all possibilities before i have to do that. Should I pull solenoids and check and clean them?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Those fault codes are nothing to do with the position sensors - must be a red herring I guess. If you clear them, do they come back?

The actual problem does sound like position sensors. You might find the sensors are going open-circuit when twisted to the end of their travel. I've had success opening the sensors and cleaning them. The fingers inside which wipe along the resistance track seem to be bent the wrong way, not really anything you can do about that but it is strange that they are designed to fail sooner or later.

-Alex

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Cheers Alex - quite a few kiwi's here. Yes, fault codes come back when cleared. What an awesome resource for Alfa owners. I think I will have to try and get hold of a donor actuator unit so I can see what normal readings would look like (assuming the donor is 100%) and pirate any parts I need off that. I guess the problem for me is not knowing whether to shell out for new parts because I haven't actually diagnosed which parts need replacing. The garage I took the car to said they cleaned all the contacts etc but I think I need to start from scratch. Big problem for me is that before I took the car in I could get N, 1 and 2 and I was able to drive it to the garage. Now I have it back I get the display saying 1st or briefly 2nd but no actual gear selected and I cant start the car because I cant get N. Really frustrating!
Updating...nearly fried everything being careless with negative jumper cable (shorted on metal clip holding light in) I think all is OK. Anyway, I was disconnecting sensors with FES hooked up and then claering errors when I reconnected them. However, with the Hydraulic circuit pressure sensor, when I reconnected that one...an error came up that I cannot clear... P1769 Pump driving relay stuck. I guess that's a place to start - now I just gotta find where that is :)
Further update...I replaced the position sensor and now instead of 31.. FES tells me it is 23.5mm - what have I done wrong. There is quite a lot of travel in the clutch lever itself and I can move it with my hand about 10mm???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so far I have taken off sensors and tested them - they all have similar ohms readings so I guess it is safe to assume sensors are not the cause of the problem. I'm now going to remove the solenoids to clean them etc. I noticed the resistance readings on them are a little higher than what the Denyer website indicates i.e. 4 ohms instead of 2.5 for EV 1 & 2 and 7 ohms for EV 3 & 4. Once again, any insights would be greatly appreciated

1 - 17 of 17 Posts