Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just a quick heads up today my darling wife parked our 159 outside our house on a drive way that slopes towards the house handbrake on but not in gear??????? 22 minutes later she heard a loud bang went to investigate and found the car embedded in the front of the house! !!! Damage caused is quite bad for such a low speed accident as the car probably only rolled for about 8 ft.....
Bonnet is creased/bent front bumper and grill cracked and my 3 weeks old alfa badge has spar dash embedded in it!!!!!!!! Anyway I have checked the handbrake it seems fine I think the cables expanding in the heat caused the car to edge forward thus into the house. ..... moral of the story make sure its in gear or you will have a really bad day like me:mad::cry:
Sorry no pics as I.m a luddite and have had a few beers to take the edge off. ..................

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Always leave in gear. Get wifey to RTFM while she's showing you how sorry she is ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Always leave in gear. Get wifey to RTFM while she's showing you how sorry she is ;)
Indeed leave it in an appropriate gear. Had an instance today parking on my parents sloping driveway were the handbrake wouldn't hold the car and was creeping backwards which was quite worrying. Hopefully its just the heat making things play up but suppose its another thing to check when I can ;)

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
That's a real sickener.

Reminds me of a rolling car incident I had :eek:.

Parked on a client's sloping driveway a few years back. The client was an engineer-type and we were trying to sort a problem with my Spider's hood when the car started rolling and very nearly went over his foot. I managed to scramble into the car and pull the handbrake up as far as it'd go, higher than the normal setting, to bring it to a halt.
Very scary indeed.
God knows the damage it would have caused to the house and car if we'd not been at the side of the car at the time :wow:.

Since then I ALWAYS leave the car in gear when parked up.

As cj romeo says, cooling discs are likely to be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My wife parked her Punto Grande on our drive and an hour later had a phone call from the neighbour over the road. The neighbour enquired if my wife knew where her car was. "On the drive" was the wrong answer.

It had rolled 50 yards down our drive, over the pavement, over the road (without hitting anything), over the opposite pavement, up a concrete ledge, over a rose bush and onto a nice lawn. It was almost like it was on display. No damage except for replacing the rose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok quick update car has been for some estimates for the repairs I hope you are sitting down the lowest is £1550 and at the other end its £2000!!!!! Parts required are bonnet/bumper/grill/badge & 1x park sensor.
Obviously the quotes are inc vat paint and fitting for insurance purposes.
Didn't want to claim on the insurance but don't think I've got a choice. ..I can source the parts myself and get them painted for about £650 but obviously I will have to fit them. ..
Just be aware when buying parts don't be afraid of the main dealers for example numerous jokers on eBay selling bits one guy wants 500 for bonnet/bumper plus postage (not my colour) main dealer want
£260+vat for bonnet and £207 + vat for bumper so not much in it really. ..also with my mates trade discount I can get both for about £350.
I think I.ll be ringing the insurance later deep joy:mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She.s back!!!!!

Ok quick update and a couple of questions??
Car came back from being repaired today looks great they have done a nice job! Aviva are now £1800 worse off can't wait for my renewal quote !!!!!
Anyway 2things are bothering me which are the headlamp washers don't work and the park sensors seem to be a bit weird...does anyone know what the exact parameters for the park sensors to work are? I have tested them and they are all working correctly with the right indication on the dash but I had to turn them on above my head?? When I select reverse they activate but if I am parking nose in I have to activate them myself? Are they speed related I seem to remember having to turn them off in the past as they were bugging me but now they only activate when selecting reverse.
Hope this post makes sense the garage have agreed to look at headlamp washers again but state the park sensors are functioning correctly ...
Any help would be great

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 159 engages parking sensors when I select reverse and keeps them on when going forward until a certain speed however if I park nose first they don't engage on their own I have to turn them on with the overhead button. I think this is normal on all 159's so yours sounds fine!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that couldn't remember what they are supposed to do and when ,, I did read the manual but it's a bit vague! !!!! Just the washer jets to sort now and hopefully back to happy motoring. ..

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Just changed the cables on mine as the handbrake was marginal on the mot. Feels a lot better now - could yours need the same?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Garage have checked the handbrake and it seems fine I think my wife probably didn't apply it properly because she is always rushing about and not paying attention to things! !!!!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Reading your OP it was the first thing hat crossed my mind. Just didn't have the heart to post it! Glad you got it sorted now albeit a few niggles...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts