Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell what the last symbol on the right of the check panel on a 155 narrow 2.0 is. I think i have a sidelight out which is illuminating the warning second from the right, but the furthest right is also on?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
flatfourfun said:
Can anybody tell what the last symbol on the right of the check panel on a 155 narrow 2.0 is. I think i have a sidelight out which is illuminating the warning second from the right, but the furthest right is also on?
Pages from the handbook should help you out

san

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's something I've wondered - why is it that there's a low oil level light on the check panel, and a seemingly identical low oil level light on the dashboard?

The light on my dashboard comes on when I first start the car, for about 5 seconds, but the light on the check panel never comes on...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The light on the dash is run from oil pressure that`s why it goes out as soon as you start the engine :rolleyes: and will only illuminate if you have very little or no oil pressure indicating a fecked motor :eek:

The on eon the panel is linked to a sensor in the dipstick or sump which lights to say that the engine is low on oil ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
How long have you had your 155, flatfourfun? Your plight/various threads are about right. Buy an Alfa cheap, then spend the next month fixing all the bits the last owner didn't bother his @rse about for the last 2 years. :rant:

·
Registered
42 Posts
speed freak said:
The light on the dash is run from oil pressure that`s why it goes out as soon as you start the engine :rolleyes: and will only illuminate if you have very little or no oil pressure indicating a fecked motor :eek:

The on eon the panel is linked to a sensor in the dipstick or sump which lights to say that the engine is low on oil ;)
No, I'm talking about the little 'dipstick' light above the handbrake light that has the same graphic on it as the light on the check panel. I'm not talking about the one with the oil can on it, now if THAT came on I would definitely be in trouble!

I know the engine needs a bit of oil, I'll put some in this weekend. My question was, what is the difference between the dipstick light on the check panel and the dipstick light on the dash?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps, but if all 155's have the oil light on the dash, why have it on the check panel too? On mine, it's only the light on the dash that comes on at ignition - I've not seen the check panel one come on yet.

Has anybody got a scan of the page from the user manual that explains the meaning of the dash oil light? (The scan above says page 1.3 or something...)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Page 1.6
Insufficent Engine Oil
(optinal where applicable)
This warning light comes on when the engine oil falls below the minimum level (see page1.16)

Page 1.16
Engine Oil Level
Indicator on Check Panel
Warning light on Instrumen Panel (see page 1.6)
When on this warning lamp indicates insufficiant engine oil or that theengine has been started when the vehicle is not on a level surface.
If the warning lamp comes onwhen the vehicle is on a level surface, check the oil level (see page 6.9)

There you have all that the Owners Handbook says about the oil level lights, so that's as clear as MUD then. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alright alright mr stroppy! :rolleyes:

This is a very useful post and will help others in the future who are confused by there being two oil warning lights...

...well, actually, it doesn't really clear anything up. Even the owners manual describes the same purpose for both lights. Maybe at the factory the bloke designing the check panels and the bloke designing the dashboards didn't ever talk to each other.

Of course maybe this was a trial of having two lights for everything, one as a backup. Think about it, two 'lights on' lights, two 'handbrake on' lights, two 'rear demister' lights, etc. You'd never have to worry about missing a warning. Perhaps even two lights to indicate that some of the other warning lights aren't working. Or two lights to indicate which side of the road you're going to crash off, three lights for how many penalty points you've just lost at the last gatso, or a dozen lights to indicate how many hundreds of pounds you're going to have to spend on the next repair?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
You got to have the "oil level" light in the check panel. And on the dashboard...

I think they just wanted to put heaps of lights in there. It does look good (if rather alarming) when they all light up. :p
Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Not all 155s have the warning light on the dash
as see on these handbook pages

But, also note the disclaimer at the bottom of the page
:D :D

san

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ally, in defence of the previous owner ( i'm not going to say too much as he is a mutual friend of ours) , he did spend a shed load, it just seems that little faults occur quite readily regardless of spending.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
flatfourfun said:
Ally, in defence of the previous owner ( i'm not going to say too much as he is a mutual friend of ours) , he did spend a shed load, it just seems that little faults occur quite readily regardless of spending.

the joys of Alfa ownership :D

san

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm not dissin' Wullie, just having a little fun. :) I am talking from my own experiences though! :( :lol:

If spending shedloads meant Alfas would never go wrong, my old 75 isn't due to have any problems until...2022! Yeh, right. :cheese:

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are two notes in user manual that clearly explains dashboard and check panel oil light functions:

First
Note:The signal is analysed by the Check Panel device only when the engine is started.

Second
Note: The intervention logic ensures that even a brief signal is sent to the instrument panel to switch on the warning lamp, while the led on the Check Panel stays on continuosly only when the signal persists.

But, as for me, all this bunch of lights is very confusing and sometimes just doesn't work as we expect.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ignore them both and check the dipstick instead :rolleyes:

edit: as Duncan says, only he can type faster than me LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts