Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 1.5 years of owning my G (63 plate 1.4 TB multiair 170) the check engine light has come on. S/S is unavailable and the D.N.A won't switch, it also seems to me the turbo isn't working! I've booked in at my local dealer for tomorrow so fingers crossed..

Has anyone else had similar problems or have any idea what it could be?

Fortunately it's still under warranty...

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Could be loads of things, you will only find out what it could be once the fault code is read.

The DNA and S.S are not available whilst in limp mode, no matter what the fault is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it to the dealer, apparently an issue with the air unit which needs to be changed so I've booked this in. Not sure if it's the same issue as others have mentioned with the Multiair unit as I don't really lose power and engine sounds normal.

I'm in the final year of warranty now so may look to extend this, any idea of how much this costs? Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come!

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
Could well be worth checking oil level as this affects the actuator efficiency. But the dealer gets the warranty job and you get a new MA unit!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil was full to the brim. They were surprised at that and were asking if I had just filled it, seems like oil wasn't being used as much as they expected..

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
Oil was full to the brim. They were surprised at that and were asking if I had just filled it, seems like oil wasn't being used as much as they expected..
It doesn't "use" oil so perhaps it was overfilled?
Could damage the MA unit which depends on it to actuate the valves. Who serviced it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may be the case, it was service at the Alfa dealership I bought it from and which are fixing the new unit. The service was earlier this year too..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update now I have the car back from the dealers: uniair module has been replaced (is this the multi unit?) Also seems my spark plugs were replaced as they were 'contaminated'. Car is running great and I'm happy this issue was resolved before any major issues! Glad to get it back after the First 500 courtesy car haha

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
Glad to hear it's fixed after what appears to have been an overfill. The small capacity of 2.5 or so litres doesn't appear to combine well with the way that oil is sucked out the top of the engine leaving some in the sump? Mine showed issues before first service towards 15000miles on the original factory oil, which is apparently thinner. The oil was a bit low and the MA was not being fed the stuff to actuate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts