Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps

Anybody had Check Engine? Code logged as P026e.
Car runs fine except for DNA and stop/start being disabled.
It's now appeared twice in ~150 miles, both times about 2-3 minutes into the journey. 1st time it was just idling whilst waiting in a queue of traffic, 2nd time driving at about 30mph.
CEL clears after 3 or so restarts.

Car is a Veloce which is 13 months old. Had service 6 weeks ago. No other issues apart from being slightly overfilled with oil at the service (sorted now).

Booking car in tomorrow, but just wondered whether this code has been seen before and what it refers to.

Cheers
Iv

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,021 Posts
Code starting with P026_ is a generic code to do with Charge air coolant circuit, which is the liquid cooled intercooler in case of the 2.0 engines both 280 hp veloce and 200hp models.

I would strongly suggest you pop the bonnet and check the intercooler expansion tank level. It may be the leak I experienced as detailed in my post on this link .

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alf...a-secondary-coolant-leak.html#/topics/1137650

Let us know if the level is ok. Car will be drivable but as with any hard check engine error codes, defaults to N mode. I was able to clear it with my obd reader but it reappeared a while later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Metalgod.
I Just checked and I cannot see any leaks and the levels look OK too. It's raining here and quite dark so I'll check again in the morning for leaks.
I'll print off the TSB and show it to the dealer just in case. I don't want them just clearing the code (as I can do with the Torque app)!

Thanks again for the information.
Iv.

·
4,021 Posts
Good to know. The code is certainly to do with the intercooler system. It may be a sensor out of parameter or else a small leak. Mine was very small over a long period. I was possibly driving with it for ages before the code appeared. You would notice a drop in mpg if I had paid close attention. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi, I had the check engine light on and off for a couple of weeks, mine was stuck in normal mode, would clear after various restarts but no real pattern to it. I finally booked it in for investigation at Motorvogue Kempston and was initially told they would need it for 2 days. Dropped it off at 8 am Monday morning and got a call at 11 am saying the issue was resolved and I could pick it up!...
When I got there I had a chat with Steve there Alfa technician and he explained the problem with the aid of a photo, turned out to be both cables to the dump valve solenoids only being pushed in but not locked! ... easy fix. Now the car is back to normal and unless its my imagination seems better than it ever was, forgot how fantastic the car is with full power back:rotate: Hats off to motorvogue spot on service from start to finish.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi, I had the check engine light on and off for a couple of weeks, mine was stuck in normal mode, would clear after various restarts but no real pattern to it. I finally booked it in for investigation at Motorvogue Kempston and was initially told they would need it for 2 days. Dropped it off at 8 am Monday morning and got a call at 11 am saying the issue was resolved and I could pick it up!...
When I got there I had a chat with Steve there Alfa technician and he explained the problem with the aid of a photo, turned out to be both cables to the dump valve solenoids only being pushed in but not locked! ... easy fix. Now the car is back to normal and unless its my imagination seems better than it ever was, forgot how fantastic the car is with full power back:rotate: Hats off to motorvogue spot on service from start to finish.
Good to hear that's fixed but shocking really that the factory left it like this. How old is your car and what mileage? Just so us QF owners can watch out for this.

·
4,021 Posts
On early QFs the cable to the dump solenoids were reported to be too tight causing the sensors not to engage fully. I believe these were rectified on later cars with longer cables.

It was suspected that some of the forum cars that had check engine issues was caused by this but never truly established partly due to poor dealer knowledge, especially if anyone remembers Brooking's Qf..also some press cars that developed check engine when pushed.

I doubt it left the factory like that if you have been driving the car ok. Without the dump solenoids connected there will be an immediate error as soon as the turbo tries to dump boost on throttle off or boost demand off. More likely it was either not pushed in fully or it came loose, unless yours is an early QF and the cables were too tight in the first place.

Glad the tech knew the issue and sorted quickly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good to hear that's fixed but shocking really that the factory left it like this. How old is your car and what mileage? Just so us QF owners can watch out for this.
Hi virtualm, its build date 11/17 and registered 02/18 ... 4050 miles, as metalgod23 mentioned , the tech guy had extension cables in ready to fit but said they were not needed as mine were ok and he suspected they were just not pushed fully home and locked.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I actually had this exact same fault the other day. Attached is a screen shot from MES. I tested, then reset CELL then pushed in the plugs and ensured not too much tension in the loom (its a pretty tight fitment) and to date no more issues. The Turbo Vacuum valves are very accessible, nothing needs to be removed to access the plugs. The actual MES diagnostic advise is to check wiring etc so this must be a known issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I actually had this exact same fault the other day. Attached is a screen shot from MES. I tested, then reset CELL then pushed in the plugs and ensured not too much tension in the loom (its a pretty tight fitment) and to date no more issues. The Turbo Vacuum valves are very accessible, nothing needs to be removed to access the plugs. The actual MES diagnostic advise is to check wiring etc so this must be a known issue.
Hi Macca993, how do you get to the Valves ? I would like to have a look myself ..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Slightly off topic as it didn't show the P026e code, but I've had exactly the same symptoms 2-3 times over the last 5-6 weeks.

Car would start and run fine and then it would display CEL during driving and Stop/Start & DNA would be disabled.
It would then clear after 5-6 restarts.

Spent ~4 hours at the garage on Thursday while they ran battery tests and turns out I have a failing/dud battery.
Just waiting for a replacement and should be up and running again this weekend.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks Metalgod.
I Just checked and I cannot see any leaks and the levels look OK too. It's raining here and quite dark so I'll check again in the morning for leaks.
I'll print off the TSB and show it to the dealer just in case. I don't want them just clearing the code (as I can do with the Torque app)!

Thanks again for the information.
Iv.
Hi. Did you get anywhere with this? I'm having the same error code, but no leaks and the levels are OK.

·
4,021 Posts
Hi. Did you get anywhere with this? I'm having the same error code, but no leaks and the levels are OK.
In that case it may need a software update.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I had a fault code relating to the charge cooler pump circuit back last year that came and went, Once the garages were open a software update fixed it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not sure, I left it with them for the day.
Mine has just developed the CEL, couldn't write it. 🤣 It's like the car knows I have been reading about the issue or knows it's going back for px in a few months. Did they give you a courtesy? I may need to drop mine in.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hmmm, I bet software updates aren't covered by my 3rd party warranty. I'm also getting "U1008-00 LIN Serial Line" error. Has anybody got any experience of Autoprotect sold with 2nd hand cars by Thames Alfa in Slough? I bought it from them but it's a 400 mile round trip and there's an approved Alfa workshop (formerly Swansway Chester) around the corner from where i work. The claim items seem to exclude electrical and wiring loom failures.

·
4,021 Posts
Hmmm, I bet software updates aren't covered by my 3rd party warranty. I'm also getting "U1008-00 LIN Serial Line" error. Has anybody got any experience of Autoprotect sold with 2nd hand cars by Thames Alfa in Slough? I bought it from them but it's a 400 mile round trip and there's an approved Alfa workshop (formerly Swansway Chester) around the corner from where i work. The claim items seem to exclude electrical and wiring loom failures.
Don't worry too much about the U errors which are for comms and the car does register a few of them without issues.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts