Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Giulia check engine light came on, for a few days, then went off again, now its back on again. I phoned Mangos were i bought it from to be told the next diagnostic appointment was the 9th December

10 minutes to diagnose the fault is all it would take

unbelievable

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY20
1,236 Posts
Contact a decent dealer. I got mine in for some warranty bits and service within a few days after enquiring. Although the 5hr round trip journey just to get to a decent dealer always p*sses me off and makes me consider my future with any Alfa more and more.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
My Giulia check engine light came on, for a few days, then went off again, now its back on again. I phoned Mangos were i bought it from to be told the next diagnostic appointment was the 9th December

unbelievable
How old is the car and has it done a lot of short / small journeys? My 17 plate does this sort of thing quite often as it doesn't do much mileage and can sit for nearly a week at a time not moving and it's always the battery having a low charge. Top it up and tickidy boo.

A sign of low battery would also me S/S not working same with the rear demister

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old is the car and has it done a lot of short / small journeys? My 17 plate does this sort of thing quite often as it doesn't do much mileage and can sit for nearly a week at a time not moving and it's always the battery having a low charge. Top it up and tickidy boo.

A sign of low battery would also me S/S not working same with the rear demister
18 plate 2.2
the start stop hasnt worked for a long time but i drove to the BTCC on sunday, 2 hours there two hours back and the start stop came on, worth a try though, cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have Alfa roadside assistance I assume you could call them. They should have the tools to run diagnostics. Just say that you are concerned that you'll damage the engine if you drive it. Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She checked, its not in warranty. During its last service they told me the battery was only at 68%

with all this covid sometimes it would barely even get warm with short journeys, i'll try the battery with a ctek charger

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
Is your Giulia one of the ones with the Security Gateway module that can't be read by a normal garage's code reader?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its an 18 plate and i think that is the case

Howard thinks he might be able to read it with something that he has bought, or maybe defeating the security gateway, but hes not keen on doing it

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,170 Posts
The SGW doesn't prevent codes being read, as I understand it, merely prevents them being reset.

I'm very glad to have a pre-SGW car. Otherwise I would have gone for one of the SGW defeating devices.

·
Registered
47 Posts

unbelievable
Do yourself a favour and buy this like i did:
Its everything you need, cables, license etc.

I've already had to reset my "check engine" twice now within 5 months, both times the codes were unrelated and not reappeared. Its already paid for itself in the time and fuel it would have cost me visiting the dealer for something ive been able to achieve in my own garage. Its one aspect of the car that's abit of joke, im not impressed with the Giulia in this department so far, throwing codes.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Used the CTEK, battery is fully charged - im not sure this CTEK is working

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Depending where you are in the NW, there’s a also dealer in Preston. I’ve used them for my Giulia’s last service as an alternative. I can get to Preston just as easily as Mangos.

Were you asking for a courtesy car? I’ve found you can often get an appointment quicker at Mangos without a car, I often walk up the road to a garden centre for breakfast but I’ve not been to Mangos since before lockdown.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i didnt get as far as the courtesy car i was so aghast at have spent 24k on car less than two years ago, they couldn't offer me a ten minute appoint to find out if the car was still safe to drive and find out what the problem was, will try Preston tomorrow, im in Wrexham

·
Registered
756 Posts
I recently took mine to Swansway/motormatch in Chester. They're not a dealer anymore, but still have an approved Alfa workshop with all the kit. It was a £100 for a diagnostic test/investigation. There was however a 3 week wait, but a very good service.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
+1 for Preston, had my year 4 service done there last week. No courtesy cars available but not a problem for me as I was getting the train back to Croston.

Interested in thoughts about Swansway as we’re moving soon and that will then be the closest place for my last 2 service plan services, although I may still return to Preston.

After that I’ll probably go to Howard at Allitalia, he’s done some great work for me in the past on my old Brera.

@Cream ; … I do have a Multiplex version of Multiecuscan, so once I’m in at Llanasa I can help you out clearing any subsequent errors if you sort out your gateway device (should you need one).

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's worth a trip to Allitalia just to see his lancia graveyard and the other stuff knocking around.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Had the exact same response from Mangos in August. Luckily I have the road side assistance which are pretty good. There is a good indie in Sale which might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi, Thanks all, im going to allitalia tomorrow for Howard to have a look at it and ive booked Preston for two weeks time

engine light is off at the moment but a couple of times the car switches the headlights on and dims the display on the dashboard - it must be thing its gone dark, when its broad daylight

1 - 20 of 27 Posts