Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)

Today I got in and started the engine, I got a 'check engine' message come up. The car starts fine and appears to drive fine (only drove it up and down my street mind) but it wont allow me engage Dynamic mode and stays in Normal.

Obviously I'll need to get in contact with the dealer which I will do but was wondering if anyone else has had this just out of interest?

Cheers

B

·
0 Posts
Call the AA out and get them to look at it.
Costs you nothing and your car may just need the obd resetting which they can do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well in the end after considering calling the AA I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in so I have left it with them. They couldn't promise it being looked at any earlier than Wednesday which is a bit of an annoyance as I wont have my car for work or football next couple of days.

Hopefully its something minor which will be sorted quickly :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just had this problem with mine. I disconnected the (neg) battery terminal, left it for 5 mins or so and she's all back to normal now....... and the phonebook has re-appeared :lol:

And, over the years having owned 3 brand new C Class Mercs, 2 Audi's (1 spangly new Mk2 TT) 4 VW's (1 new, 1 practically new) along with quite a few other makes and models, this MiTo has been better than both Audi's and as reliable as the Merc's, better than the new VW (Mk 4 Golf Gti) and is certainly no worse than any of the others. The fact is, Alfa's are fine provided you have a decent dealer, same goes for Fiats in my experience (I have had 3 of them too) :thumbs:

EDIT: Sorry just realised that my "Alfa's are reliable" rantette was actually due to comments on another thread with the same subject.......... hey ho.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Had this light once after drained battery. In my case the AA man said this was due to ecu shutting down and resetting itself after low power. After long drive and restart it was fine.

Can't say yours will do same just worth mentioning though

·
Registered
461 Posts
Exactlythe same problem but i had a list of other errors too.. Left it over night came to it in the morning and only the Engine light now on.. Very strange but it's going for a service in a couple of weeks and been told its just a registered fault but nothing to worry about

·
Registered
525 Posts
Had this light once after drained battery. In my case the AA man said this was due to ecu shutting down and resetting itself after low power. After long drive and restart it was fine.

Can't say yours will do same just worth mentioning though
Thanks but I don't think there's any problem with my battery.

The fault appeared suddenly "out of the blue" as I was driving into my local town centre. Traffic was a bit stop/start and the "check engine" light suddenly came on. To be honest, I assumed it would just reset once the engine had been switched off for a while and back on again, but it stayed on.

The system also prevented use of "D" and "A" and Stop/Start packed up (hardly ever works anyway) So, not wanting to be stuck in "N" I thought I'd try disconnecting the battery and it worked :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I had this happen on my 147 2.0. Dealer said it sometimes happens when the engine randomly pinks because of a bit of dirt or petrol mix is out on that measure of fuel, and this catches out the engine management system and thinks there's an issue. Only happened when I used petrol from a particular garage though, it wasn't the brand it was the site. You can imagine I put 2 and 2 together and got 7. Used to go off after about 100 miles though (computer memory on 147 couldn't store data for any longer!).

If you reset it and the fault does not recur then it's probably going to be something like that though I would imagine. If it did come back though I think I'd get it checked out pretty sharpish.

·
Registered
573 Posts
D & A wouldn't have packed up as such, it's the engine essentially protecting itself. The engine light indicates an issue and that the engine is being limited essentially. In the case of a drained battery or similar its probably just the ecu running on factory setting so the all weather our dynamic are not featured

In short I think dealer is the best bet. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts