Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got my Spider for sale on Autotrader for £3950 which makes it the cheapest by far in the country.

It also happens to have had £2000++ spent on it by me since November last year which means it's currently in fantastic mechanical condition.

I've had the following done - New radiator (and coolant), new brake hoses (and fluid), full rear suspension overhaul including new shocks, new spring pan arms,new bump stops. New rear brakes (discs and pads). New front wishbones, new drivers side window regulator and new window ecu (expensive!). New flexi pipes on exhaust, new tyres, aircon regas. Cambelt done a few yrs ago.

I've mentioned all of this in the advert and yet I have not had ANY interest.

It's a Silver Y reg 2001 with 88000 miles on the clock (high mileage I realise but the work I've had done and the price should easliy negate this).

Am I going mad or does knowone want a great car at a pretty keen price!?

Anyone with any thoughts?

Cheers, Neil

·
Registered
Alfa Giulietta MA 170 Exclusive
1,480 Posts
my thoughts are why is it priced so cheap? that is a very cheap price and if something is too cheap its usually too good to be true.

what is the point of putting something up for sale so much cheaper than what others are selling for? it could also start to bring prices of them down unnecessarily

i could be wrong of course

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I started it at £6500 on pistonheads and have slowly slipped down over the last month. The problem is, all the other V6 Spiders for sale in the country (and that's not very many) have done the same thing with their prices so to keep it in line with them I've had to do the same. It's breaking my heart but I really need to sell so time pressure means I have to price it keenly!

Neil

·
Registered
40,047 Posts
I think its more to do with the market being a bit depressed at the moment. As well as the weather being crap for convertibles, and the forthcoming road tax increases etc.. You get the picture.

You don't want to sell for too much less than the others otherwise people may get suspicious that there is something wrong with it, or it is a scam if you see what I mean. :)

I tried selling my car, but have been offered peanuts. So I decided it would be better to keep it for the time being.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
hmm, just not the time to sell i spose.

i would try selling it on here and targeting those who are interested in alfa's

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would say that September, with the weather we have had is probabley the worst time to sell. Two options really :

1. Put it on ebay, a find out the market price for it, which I think'll be £2500........
2. Sit on it until spring and try again.

Neither are pretty I'm afraid.

Of course, you could always trade it in :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose I'd really like to keep it but new babies and 3.0 V6 cars don't mix!

The new car taxing regime is the thing that's stopping sales of these great cars imo.

Ridiculous thing is that the suspension work I had done is probably as a result of the c*ap road surfaces for which I've been paying taxes to the government not to fix for the last X number of years!

Still, at least the child allowance will buy me one tyre a month for the next 18 years!

Neil

·
Registered
989 Posts
As i understand it 'Y' reg is just before the car tax increases, I think that starts with the 51 plates of March 01.

With what you've spent, I'd keep it for a bit and buy yourself a cheap runaround 156/145/146 can all be had for around £1k. Keep the spider under a cover for the winter and sell it as soon as we have nice weather next year! :)

Edited = oh crap, Y plate IS included, sorry :(

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
actually 51 reg cars started being registered in septmber 2001 becasue there were no 01 registered cars (0-numbered cars are always registered in march and 5-numbered cars in september)
effectively, 51 ran for 6 months and was followed by 02 in march 2002.
the tax laws are for all cars registered after 01/04/01, therfore many Y-reg cars will be liable....like mine:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
is there no way you can compromise NW? why not hang on to it for the time being. but if you reckon that the loss made by keeping the car would equate to the effective loss in a cheap sale...then...:(
its not easy right now

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
actually 51 reg cars started being registered in septmber 2001 becasue there were no 01 registered cars (0-numbered cars are always registered in march and 5-numbered cars in september)
effectively, 51 ran for 6 months and was followed by 02 in march 2002.
the tax laws are for all cars registered after 01/04/01, therfore many Y-reg cars will be liable....like mine:cry: :cry: :cry:
you mean 01/03/01

its a tough situation but if you can i would take it off the road so your not paying to run two cars, buy a cheapish runaround

1 - 14 of 14 Posts