Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a GOOD cheap tyre? I've got Michelins on now but need two new front tyre was just wondering if there are any cheap tyres worth considering before going for the same again

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Nexen N8000 are a great tyre, punch way above their weight and are under £60 a corner in the 18's on tyre leader.

I have had on my 220 BHP GT so far, Pirelli P zero, Bridgestone potenza,Continental contact sport 5,and currently Nexen N8000. The Nexens have easily been as good as both the Bridgestone, and Pirelli, if not better in some aspects (longevity ,tram-lining ,Noise)

the conti's were better at hard cornering but in all other respects the Nexen's were comparable..I can also happily recommend either Toyo proxes or Kumho Ku39's having had them both on previous cars and can report they are both grippy predictable and not too noisy.

hope this helps..:thumbup:

only one point i would make and that is that they need to be warmed up before any spirited driving is undertaken.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Running 19" n8000 Nexens on mine (currently rear only but doing well), they were 'highly recommended) by a German auto mag tyre review

"Auto bild sportscar"

The XXL version of the N8000 in the size 245/30 R 20Y impressed the testers in a test carried out by the Sportscars edition of the Auto Bild magazine. This 20 inch tyre (8 in number) was tested on a VW Scirocco model.

According to the testers, the Nexen N8000 in this size has neutral handling on both wet and dry and offers smooth and compliant ride quality. Further the tyre?s performance in the aquaplaning and side aquaplaning tests were decidedly above average. All these factors led to the conferring of a ?recommended? grade to the N8000 245/30 R 20Y by the Auto Bild Sportscars.

"Auto bild"

Auto Bild, Germany?s leading automobile magazine, evaluated the performance of 50 summer tyres on both wet and dry surface conditions. Nexen?s tyre N8000 in the size 225/45 R17 W bagged spot no 11 out 50. The N8000 did particularly well in the parameter of braking distance. Auto Bild revealed that the braking distance for the tyre on dry surface was only 37.0 meters, while in the wet, this distance was 46.1 meters.

There was a second part of the test which involved the top 15 tyres. The Nexen N8000 did well in this test too and was particularly appreciated for its superior water deflection (anti-aquaplaning) properties and superb and smooth ride.

"ADAC"

For the ADAC summer tyre test, Nexen was represented by the N8000 in the 205/65 R 16V size. In this case too the N8000 scored well in the braking tests, adding to its overall safety quotient and earning the tyre a top spot alongside premium global brands.

?Our Development Efforts are Paying Off?, says Nexen

·
Registered
700 Posts
Acceleras!
Hahahaha

Here we go again......

Personally,
On 17" rims I rate Acceleras on the back, I had them all round for a while, but on the front they were lethal on wet roundabouts.
On the back they were great.

So if it was me I'd put the new acceleras on the back and your current rears on the front.

OR

If money is an issue, get on eBay and look for some part worns,
I picked up 2 continentals, 1 dunlop and a goodyear for my spare wheels (which are currently all on eBay) for less than £150, all with plenty of tread (lowest one was 5mm IIRC)

I currently have a nice Avon on one corner of my car with 7mm for £40 fitted (Got a nail in the old tyre and needed a replacement quick)

Lots of people will flame this for putting part worns on, but they are all good brands, with lots of life left in them (and no repairs) rather than crappy cheap brands with questionable grip/performance.

If you have a bit of time to wait for something decent to turn up you can save a lot of money.....

Axe

·
Registered
865 Posts
Many of us here run Acceleras without any problems and they have been and probably still are a damned good price.
If you are doing normal driving then I think Acceleras are absolutely fine, if you muller your car or use it on track then you might want to think again.
Buy online and have them fitted at a tyre place, much much cheaper that way.

By someone mentioning Acceleras though you will have opened a can of worms as everyone has strong opinions on rubber LOL.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Many of us here run Acceleras without any problems and they have been and probably still are a damned good price.
If you are doing normal driving then I think Acceleras are absolutely fine, if you muller your car or use it on track then you might want to think again.
Buy online and have them fitted at a tyre place, much much cheaper that way.

By someone mentioning Acceleras though you will have opened a can of worms as everyone has strong opinions on rubber LOL.
A good summary, though I would add that the clamour for the acceleras has dropped a little (along with tyre prices!). When I got my 159 around 2012, it was Acceleras at ~£90 or anything else at ~£200+, as only Aston Martin and the 159 seemed to use the same 19" 235/40 size, since then Porsche use this size and the tyre has become relatively common and has better range of tyres at decent prices is available.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Loads of good tyres fit into the mid range catagory. Not many good tyres are found at the lower end.

Personally I wouldn't go too cheap.

I have had good experiences with Falken in the past, even the Cooper CS6 fitted to my Clio 172 cup were pretty decent (If a hard compound).

If you consider than most tyres last between 15000 and 20000 miles, a few quid extra for better ones on a cost per mile basis works out as next to nothing...

If you know somewhere that can fit tyres for you Tyreleader is always one of the cheapest places to buy from.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, looking at the review I'm going to try the Nexen N8000s, reviews seem ok, £123 for two fitted at home from the AA (non member price). https://tyres.theaa.com/

I was only looking tor cheapies because the cambelt's due soon and I've had a bit of clutch slippage, and/or I've thought about selling (heresy!) as I've had her over 4 years now, but I've said that before & will probably not bear to part with her.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,571 Posts
I was only looking tor cheapies because the cambelt's due soon and I've had a bit of clutch slippage, and/or I've thought about selling (heresy!) as I've had her over 4 years now, but I've said that before & will probably not bear to part with her.
So you'd sell the car with known faults?:tut: So some poor unsuspecting (new to Alfa Romeo?) comes along, buys it then has some big bills in their first months of ownership? That sort of thing can do nothing but bad for the brands image.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i was only looking tor cheapies because the cambelt's due soon and i've had a bit of clutch slippage, and/or i've thought about selling (heresy!) as i've had her over 4 years now, but i've said that before & will probably not bear to part with her.
so you'd sell the car with known faults?
so some poor unsuspecting (new to alfa romeo?) comes along, buys it then has some big bills in their first months of ownership? That sort of thing can do nothing but bad for the brands image.
+1

·
Registered
542 Posts
When buying my Spider, it had Acceleras on the back, they were low on tread, but were very noisy and stepped. From the instant step up in noise (or lack of) and handling quality with the Pirellis I have put on, I would avoid the Acceleras in future. They are simply not in the same league and the new Pirellis have transformed the car.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
When buying my Spider, it had Acceleras on the back, they were low on tread, but were very noisy and stepped. From the instant step up in noise (or lack of) and handling quality with the Pirellis I have put on, I would avoid the Acceleras in future. They are simply not in the same league and the new Pirellis have transformed the car.
Feel it would only have been a useful comment if you had run them from new. It's not very fair to judge a tyre that you got in your own words with very little tread on and stepped. I used about 3 sets of Acceleras over 70k and never experienced any problems. I can only speak from experience of using them for 4 years from new though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The old man has just put the 245/40/19 nexen n8000 on his ti and they do look like a good tyre. They were £100 each fitted but he was desperate for them as otherwise he could have picked then up a bit cheaper online but his inside fronts had worn down to the canvas after only 5000miles:censored:

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
The old man has just put the 245/40/19 nexen n8000 on his ti and they do look like a good tyre. They were £100 each fitted but he was desperate for them as otherwise he could have picked then up a bit cheaper online but his inside fronts had worn down to the canvas after only 5000miles:censored:
Wrong size and may invalidate his insurance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you'd sell the car with known faults?:tut: So some poor unsuspecting (new to Alfa Romeo?) comes along, buys it then has some big bills in their first months of ownership? That sort of thing can do nothing but bad for the brands image.

No! I'd either get everything done or declare the faults & drop the price.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
The old man has just put the 245/40/19 nexen n8000 on his ti and they do look like a good tyre. They were £100 each fitted but he was desperate for them as otherwise he could have picked then up a bit cheaper online but his inside fronts had worn down to the canvas after only 5000miles
Which is due to tracking, fitting wider tyres will make it worse too

1 - 20 of 94 Posts