Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know this has been discussed at length previously but I can't find the thread.

I have a chattering noise coming from the left-hand side of my dash when car is in motion - how can this be sorted - is it straightforward for a beginner DIY'er or do I really need to get a dealer to look at it (rather not)?

Instructions/pics appreciated ...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've read on alfa156.net that

"Option c) is probably the most easy one as it only requires to remove the air vent that runs almost full width in the far end of the dash. More info about this below."

but it doesn't give instructions for this method ...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know this will sound crazy - but I had a buzzing sound apparently coming from the left of the dash, but to cure it I had to press the trim on the driver's side 'A' pillar (screen pillar). Something behind the trim was causing the noise, which then was reflected around the screen to the other side of the car! Took me ages to track it down. Probably not your problem, but worth bearing in mind!

Geoff

G

·
Harp said:
Hi all, I know this has been discussed at length previously but I can't find the thread.

I have a chattering noise coming from the left-hand side of my dash when car is in motion - how can this be sorted - is it straightforward for a beginner DIY'er or do I really need to get a dealer to look at it (rather not)?

Instructions/pics appreciated ...
Has your wife climbed into the glovebox? :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
got to get yr dash unfitted and get the god damn isolation material scraped off fm where u think u get the chattering sounds and cry god for
the problem to hv been solved.

began to hate my 156 due to this dash squeeks !!!

G

·
When you say chattering, do you mean a squeak, a chafing, a knocking or a clunking sound? What is the frequency and persistence of the sound. Is it a fast repeating sound, does it happen all the time or just when the dash is cold for example? Does the sound give you any clue as to the type of material causing it? :confused:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chattering = chattering like teeth chattering; frequency is medium < 5Hz

:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Harp

Try pulling the headlining front edge down a little to see if it stops, as in early 156's this used to touch onto the roof, causing a buzzing noise (I remember the dealer saying it was a common fault on the earlier cars)

I only think this might be relevent because I was checking everywhere on my 2001 car and was convinced at one point it was coming from behind the stereo!

I hope that helps, although its a bit of a long shot

wilko

G

·
Indeed, was going to say, the noise isn't coming from the actual speaker on that side, is it? Nothing loose in the glove compartment? A friend with a perverted sense of humour hasn't put some joke-shop chattering-teeth in behind the dashboard? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm off to Malta now for a 2 week holiday, good luck all and may all your problems be small ones! ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
just turn the stereo up. that solves most minor cabin noise problems. :D

not helpful, i know, but it works.

redd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts