Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Any tips for chasing down vibrations/noises?

I've got two of note at the moment....

1. Features at 40-60mph.. Sounds like it's coming from the rear and to me sounds like a tyre noise.. Almost choppy (vvvvvd vvvvd vvvvd), frequency increases/decreases with speed but independent of engine load... No difference whether I'm in gear pulling hard, or in neutral and coasting.. Felt the tyre tread a few weeks back and it almost feels lumpy and somewhat saw-toothed... Wasn't sure if this was down to some weird tread pattern that Pirelli tried with the P-Zero Rosso...

2. 75mph+ general vibrations... Not seeming to be coming from one place in particular, just all over slight vibration :(

I'm usually pretty good about checking tyre pressures but I'll double check them at the weekend (and tread depth left on the rears)... Had the tracking checked at the front a few months back but not the rears, worth getting them looked at?

Also has anyone got tips for checking roundness of alloys? Lots of potholes on my route to work :(

·
Registered
883 Posts
Good luck I have few think you just need to accept it's a part of owning a alfa maybe if a increase on volume on the radio will cure

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'm perfectly willing to accept the rattles in behind the dash :D

But velocity related bumps 'n' shakes scare me that their might be something mechanically amiss... If all the suspension is good (Loz said it all looked good with a few heads-ups), tyres are good, drivetrain is good etc. then yea I guess I can deal with it.. Just a lil paranoid that every mile I drive with a little bump n grind is slowly trashing the car :D

I'm a little precious about it if I'm honest :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
1 sounds like it could be one of your rear wheel bearings. Have someone sit in the back and steer slightly side to side while driving at athe speed that provokes the noise. If it's the bearing they'd be able to hear better back there and determine which side it's coming from. Steering side to side will put more pressure on the bad bearing so if you're turning left the weight would shift onto the right wheel and make the noise worse & vice versa.

If you suspect the tyre try switching out the front & rear wheels on the suspected side and see if the noise moves to the front.

2 could be a wheel out of round or wheel needs balancing.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's also a general rattle/squeak from the bootlid/tailgate, might get the GF to figure out where that's coming from too!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The noise could be a tyre. I had problems with the original Goodyear F1 tyre on my old 156 when worn. They suffered from 'stepping' on the tread blocks which made a horrible noise like you describe - sounded and felt like a wheel bearing was on the way out. A mate has just had a set of tyres changed on Merc for a similar reason. Try swapping the wheels front to back and see if the noise follows.

Tailgate rattles are a bugger to track down. Check the rubber bump stops on the tailgate are adjusted and are springing....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Could be the gas struts, parcel shelf or the tailgate itself rubbing on the rubber seals.

Try opening the boot and listen for the struts making noise.
If not, take out parcel shelf and go for a drive. Noise gone?
If not, it's probably the tailgate itself. There are 2 rubber bump stops that are adjustable which can cause creaking or it could just be the rubber seals need a wipe over with some silicone lubricant to stop any squeaking

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It ain't the parcel shelf, that's in the garage so I can fit the dog in the boot...

I siliconed the rubber seal a while back which made a tiny bit of difference... Never noticed the gas struts making noise at all.. If anything it rounds like a wire rattling inside a panel... Just not had the time to chase that down properly tbh...

I'll have a go at adjusting the bump stops this weekend, also I believe you can adjust the position of the metal catch that it latches on to?

I might just change the rear tyres as they're an un-matched pair (cheers previous owner!).. One is probably <3mm now, the other is the one that feels like it's got a funny tread pattern...

I've been on the fence between the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance (I do A LOT of motorway miles) or the Eagle F1 Asym 2's....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Open the tailgate and give it a wiggle see if you can replicate the rattle then try closing it & do the same. The bump stops are adjustable by hand. If the boot shuts ok and the tailgate lines up dead centre I wouldn't mess around with the latch tbh.
New tyres couldn't hurt. If the noise is still there get bearings checked out.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Got Goodyear F1 Assym 2's on mine and have been really pleased with them, grip is superb. They have worn quite quickly on the 3.2 though (can't think why :D) but will definately be replacing them with another set. They have really good wheelrotection too which is important on the 18's.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just checked pressures and tread wear/depths all round...

38-39 PSI all round, 6-7mm all over on the fronts...

5mm on the outside of the rears, 2-3mm on the inside with scalloped/stepped tread wear on both sides...

So next weekend after pay-day it'll be two new rear tyres and rear tracking/alignment I guess!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh OK good to know.. Looks like this is exactly what I'm dealing with at the moment...

Previous owner swapped out one of the rears due to a bulge to pass MOT, so I ended up with an unmatched pair with uneven wear across the axle... I've since put 16k miles on them... Plenty of opportunity to exacerbate the weird wear pattern..

Roll on pay day!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lil' update!

Two near rear tyres have helped A LOT! Still need to book in for proper alignment though before I scrub the inner shoulders too much (almost 600 miles on them already!)...

Spoke to Loz about powerflexing the rear arms, but he suggested it's worth getting alignment done first as there could well be enough life left in them after an adjustment... Final solution is gonna be powerflexing everything at the back, but I've got a bit of time to save some money up for that!

Also went looking around the boot area and found one of the rubber bump-stops on the rear hatch was missing.. £5 part from Autolusso (thanks Liam!) and the creaky rattly boot lid has been cured!

So in summary (obvious really), when things start a'shaking - check the rubber bits!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts