Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A close friend of mine happens to be a little bit, well, odd I suppose...

He's planning to ride a push bike, on his own, unsupported, with no chase car etc... from John O Groats to Land's End...

... Via Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon (The highest peaks in Scotland, England and Wales).

What he is proposing is truely epic, it's the ramifications of the unsuported bit that will be the real challenge and a significant danger. I wouldn't do it.

Why? In memory of his cousing who died at the age of 29 and in order to raise funds to combat the illness that took his life.

I'm not asking that anyone donates a huge amount, just that you show your support for a truely idiotic thing for someone to be doing!

News Paper Article;
[URL]http://www.flintshirechronicle.co.uk/flintshire-news/local-flintshire-news/2012/01/19/higher-kinnerton-fundraiser-to-get-on-his-bike-in-aid-of-leukaemia-and-lymphoma-research-51352-30150785/[/URL]

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/JOG3PeaksLE2012

Just Giving Page
Carl Fleming is fundraising for Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research

Or text CARL95 and the amount you wish to donate to 70070 - the text donation amount has to be £1,£2,£3,£4,£5, or £10.
TIA!

If you don't donate I'll ensure the Alfa Pixie comes round during the night and lets your tyres down!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Been waiting up at nights watching for those pixies :p

Not very flush at the mo' Chris, I'll bung a few quid next month...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The looney has managed not to get himself committed and has started his "challenge". He set off from John o groats on Saturday having driven up with his parents on Friday - he's still effectively on his own, carrying all his gear and provisions on his bike but rightly worried for their son's safety, Carl's parents are following him in a camper van...

He posted on Facebook last night saying that he'd completed 195km in 2 days. This is slightly below what he'd hoped to achieve but he also stated that he was battling heavy rain and a 20mph headwind. To give an idea there's this pic of him with his lights on...

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair play to him, an epic challenge indeed. And of course, yes, he is doing it the wrong way round - (I imagine he must have considered that when he planned it?) - the prevailing winds across the UK are south westerly. On average, he'll have a headwind all the way. And with the weather we've been having, a big one.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like he's made it to Fort William today and will be asending big Ben tomorrow! :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ben Nevis - Done, Carl's now at the bottom end of Loch Lomond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts