Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm trying to change my timing belt. I bought cam lock on eBay to lock the camshaft. I locked the intake camshaft fine, but for the exhaust camshaft the camlock seems not adapted .

I just can't put it right on it, how to know if these camshaft are really adapted to this engine ?

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
5,975 Posts
If the cam lock is the correct profile, and its difficult to see from the photo, then it does look if the camshaft is one tooth out. I just checked with my cam lock set and it is correct, so I guess the camshaft is out by a tooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello thanks for your response.
After checking I am pretty sure that the cam lock of the exhaust is not good, the profile is correct but the holes are not drilled in the right place. I ordered an other camlock from Amazon, waiting for it.

The problem is that I mounted the belt despite this, with a desynchronized exhaust camshaft (in advance). I made two turns of the crankshaft by hand and no kink, so I tried to start the engine, results: difficulty starting, unstable idle, clicking sound and engine warning light. I just hope I didn't damage the engine by starting it with the wrong timing.

·
Registered
38,300 Posts
The most likely explaination for this is that the cam timing isn't correct to begin with.

This usually happens if the previous belt change was done without the cam locks...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I don't think you have caused engine damage; the standard cam timing is fairly mild and a 16 valve pent roof combustion chamber is more forgiving than an old 8 valve hemispherical chamber. That said though, the exhaust cam timing in the photo is retarded in regard to how the cam lock is constructed.

Hopefully this will give you some reassurance as to why it ran badly;
Look at the effects of exhaust camshaft timing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,
Thanks fruity you reassured me.
so I finally received the Amazon camlock, and effectively the eBay camlocks was not good. I repositioned the belt with the amazon camlocks and fortunately the engine started fine.
in purple the eBay exhaust camlock, and in grey the amazon one:

be careful when you buy some specific tools guys!

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
5,975 Posts
Well done, glad it worked out.

·
Registered
38,300 Posts
Did they send you 1.8/2.0 camlocks by mistake?

They are different to the 1.6 items.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
possible, no instructions delivered with it, I had specifically asked them if the camlocks were compatible with my engine so they are completely at fault

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Did they send you 1.8/2.0 camlocks by mistake?

They are different to the 1.6 items.
The numbering on the top of the cam lock is for a 1.6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts