Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have the 2004 156 facelift JTD 1.9 SW. And it needs a new thermostat, which I have ordered from Alternative Autos :thumbs:.

Is there anything specific I should know or prepare for in doing this job ( this weekend ).

I've done a thermostat change for my previous 2001 2.4 JTD 156 SW.

cheers for any tips!

:):)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Looks like my thermostat is knackered on my 156 1.9 JTD M-Jet. £80 for a new thermostat (Part 55202883) is expensive but this is for the complete housing. Is the thermostat built into the housing or can you just change the thermostat itself?

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't know about the 1.9jtd but on the 1.9jtd 16v you have two bleed bolts. Someone forgot this in mine, and I got some air in the system :rant:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All

I have done a bit more investigation into this and I am now unsure if my thermostat is broken. I thought it was stuck open however when I did the test of warming up the engine and checking the top rad hose it stayed cold up to 66 degrees and then got hot quickly.

I then went for a drive and the coolant temp only got up to 74 degrees.

When I got home with the car ticking over this went up to 84 degrees, dash gauge showing 70 degrees.

I took the temps using an obd2 reader so I am assuming they are correct.

Do I have a problem? Is it possible for the thermostat to be opening too early? I would assume it would either be not closing fully or not working at all. If it was not closing fully or stuck open then the top rad hose should would have warmed up with the engine. If it was stuck shut the hose would have not warmed up at all. So I am a bit confused why the thermostat opened at 66 degrees.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I think they are supposed to operate at 90oC so your temp looks a bit low when driving. They tend to fail in the open position. I had to replace one on my Bravo 1.9. It started to fail gradually in that sometimes the temperature would be ok or quite close to expected operating temp - I assume that this meant that it didn't quite close fully. It did get worse though and before I changed it the operating temp (in normal driving) was often showing around 70oC. Like you I was not sure but I changed thermostat as it was the most likely culprit. After that operating temp was back to normal and it warmed up much quicker as well. There was also a surprisingly good improvement in mpg which I was not expecting. If you are finding a difference between actual temperature and gauge temperature though then it may be an issue with the gauge.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hi All

I have done a bit more investigation into this and I am now unsure if my thermostat is broken. I thought it was stuck open however when I did the test of warming up the engine and checking the top rad hose it stayed cold up to 66 degrees and then got hot quickly.

I then went for a drive and the coolant temp only got up to 74 degrees.

When I got home with the car ticking over this went up to 84 degrees, dash gauge showing 70 degrees.

I took the temps using an obd2 reader so I am assuming they are correct.

Do I have a problem? Is it possible for the thermostat to be opening too early? I would assume it would either be not closing fully or not working at all. If it was not closing fully or stuck open then the top rad hose should would have warmed up with the engine. If it was stuck shut the hose would have not warmed up at all. So I am a bit confused why the thermostat opened at 66 degrees.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Why don't you do A SEARCH and read the countless threads about the same topic......:thumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good news - Well I bit the bullet and bought a new thermostat. Inspecting the old one it wasn't fully closing.

Bad news - I fitted the new one, all good. Topped up the coolant and started the engine. Ran fine for about 5 mins till it got to around 40 degrees then black plastic connector for the large radiator hose has completely come away from the metal housing. Sprayed coolant all over the engine bay and the missus car parked next to it.

Anyone seen this before? I have already emailed the place I bought it from. Can't see how I could have done this wrong so I think it is just a duff part.

·
Banned
223 Posts
If it as the cheap one made by Vernet, then yes I have seen this happen, it's a manufacturing fault and a whole batch has hit the market, I now ONLY use the Facet 78676 on your model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts