Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The turbo seal is starting to go on my 159SW 1.9JTDM and the vanes are sticking so it's time to throw some cash around like I'm in a strip club and put a new turbo on.

My question is, can this be done without removing the front end, previous work has told me that every bolt will shear and it'll take forever.

Also, if anyone else has done this is there anything else I should do at the same time?

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
98 Posts
I changed mine in the summer, pretty easy job!!

bolts weren't seized on mine, if the nut didn't want to come loose then the whole stud would just come out instead. Best advice I could give you is to soak it all in wd-40 or some penetrating fluid a few hours before doing it.

Depending on you skills you may want to consider getting a turbo cartridge? a much cheaper alternative to a complete turbo. May not be the best option but I've done about 8000 miles on mine with no problems!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed mine in the summer, pretty easy job!!

bolts weren't seized on mine, if the nut didn't want to come loose then the whole stud would just come out instead. Best advice I could give you is to soak it all in wd-40 or some penetrating fluid a few hours before doing it.

Depending on you skills you may want to consider getting a turbo cartridge? a much cheaper alternative to a complete turbo. May not be the best option but I've done about 8000 miles on mine with no problems!
Thanks Topman, did you manage to do it without removing the bumper etc?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Topman, did you manage to do it without removing the bumper etc?
Yeah, whole front end stayed on. Took off the pipe going from the turbo to the throttle body so it was completely out of the way. Split the exhaust just under the cat and removed the 2/3 bolts holding the exhaust to the gearbox so that it would drop down out of the way, then undo all of the manifold bolts. But it wasn't too bad to do ! I'm assuming you have different depth sockets and extension bars?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, whole front end stayed on. Took off the pipe going from the turbo to the throttle body so it was completely out of the way. Split the exhaust just under the cat and removed the 2/3 bolts holding the exhaust to the gearbox so that it would drop down out of the way, then undo all of the manifold bolts. But it wasn't too bad to do ! I'm assuming you have different depth sockets and extension bars?
We've got a whole workshop with a wide selection hammers, that usually does the trick :)
That's made me a bit happier that it's not too massive a job. Cheers dude.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've also done the turbo on my previous 159 1.9JTDm.

dead easy job, everything is accessible with the bonnet open,

no need to remove any bodywork,

You will need some deep reach sockets but other than that no big deal.

Axe.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've also done the turbo on my previous 159 1.9JTDm.

dead easy job, everything is accessible with the bonnet open,

no need to remove any bodywork,

You will need some deep reach sockets but other than that no big deal.

Axe.
Excellent, thanks Axe. I'm starting to think it's only a 1 day job now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've just bought a replacement turbo and just wondering how oil do you loose when you disconnect the oil lines!!!

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to do a full change when I swap it over at the weekend. There's no way I'll be running old oil through a new turbo for the sake of £30 worth of oil and filters.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes would highly recommend doing a oil change the same time. Most of the time this is part of the warranty terms and conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts