Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reached the magic number. My first 1000 miles. I've heard a few people mention that the oil should maybe be changed at this point due to tiny fragments of metal from the cyclinders. Question - Is this really neccessary? There's a filter in the system afterall and it wouldn't be doing its job if it didn't capture all the junk.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's all a state of mind really

Many, many owners will not give it a thought, never worry about it probably not have any trouble. Others will like to be more thorough and will draw something from doing it

Neither one is right really, so people will do the one which makes them feel more comfortable

Are you quite handy with a spanner..? If you are, then do it yourself :thumbs: As long as you use the recommended and genuine parts, then there's no warranty issues :) If you keep the receipts too, then I'm sue a future buyer would appreciate your conscientious, enthusiast's approach rather than be put off by the lack of an additional Alfa stamp
+1:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i will probably do mine not long after the 1k, wont get chance till about 1.5k due to time but as above its a personal thing AR say u dont need to and the car will be fine without, however doing a change will do it no harm and may do it some good

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
i will probably do mine not long after the 1k, wont get chance till about 1.5k due to time but as above its a personal thing AR say u dont need to and the car will be fine without, however doing a change will do it no harm and may do it some good
Question is, will it be you or the next owner that will see the benefit of it? When are you likely to sell the car?

N

·
0 Posts
Seems way over the top to me.

Dealer recommended first oil change is 10K kms
for the Brera.

Still if you've got money to throw away in these
hard financial times, go for it. ;)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
We just bought a new Toyota pick up with 2.7ltr engine, even that has first oil and filter change at 1000kms.............and you know Toyota's reputation for reliability :p

The Alfa had the first oil and filter change at 5000kms and no problems so I think if you want to do it then go ahead but probably doesnt make too much difference, although I wouldnt like to go to 10k on the same oil from new

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Oh dear. two words I hate seeing together: 'investment' and 'car' unless they're true collectors items/icons.
In 1983 my next door neighbour and 'Buddy' in the States owned a Ford X3 he'd kitted out to look like a space module and he always referred to it as an 'investment'... while I was driving an AMC Pacer V8 like in Wayne's world. It had been well kept and hardly driven by the woman who sold me the house and was outrageously expensive in petrol, but at that time a gallon was under a dollar! I reckon I spent much less overall in the 4 years than he did on his beloved X3 and even sold it for the same price I bought it $ 700!!! all it got was an ocassional oil change and petrol during that time. Great fun; like driving an pinball on the roads :) and the looks...
the US equivalent of a VW beetle. I wonder if he's still flying around at ground level in his X3?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well - in the first part of the running in period, small metallic particles end up in the oil. If they stay there for too long, they cause microscopic damage inside the engine/turbo. That's not as bad as it sounds, at the beginning it's actually not bad that it polishes some things, the first oil they put in an engine usually has some special additives to iron out these imperfections a bit better, but you shouldn't drive with this oil for too long.

R

·
0 Posts
I admitted to being rather anal about this sort of thing when placing our order and ensured we got a 1000 mile oil & filter change included as part of the deal :thumbs:
Yes they will polish the old filter and not change the oil :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
change it at the recommended service time and go and get urself a beer.....relax...:)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts