Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Diesel filter to go onto my G.

This is the one under the bonnet with the push on connectors.

Are there any special ways to change this, also does it need priming and howwould I go about doing this?

It looks straightforward enough, but I have a feeling it isn't just a case of swapping it over...

Many Thanks

·
Registered
950 Posts
The clips can break if you're not carefull but apart from that its straight forward, no need to prime manually..

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a low pressure fuel pump in or at the fuel tank so I assume it does the priming although you'll probably have to turn the engine over a bit on the starter to fill the filter and lines again unless it has a breather - which I doubt but don't know for certain.

One to watch is that any spills will end up absorbed into the undertray lining and you'll be smelling diesel for a while.

Good luck.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I shall have a go when the weather is a bit better.

Although I have no immediate issues, the filter doesn't look like it was changed recently so I think it would be a good idea to change it in the near future.

I did see on some guide for other cars that you need to prime some of them by using suction, that's why I asked about changing the one on the G.

My Pela oil pump is useless for changing the oil on the Diesel G, so I was planning on using that to create a vacuum if necessary.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
As CS155 says, when the ignition is on, and before you start the car the first noises you hear in the car (under the bonnet) should be the fuel pump priming.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Cycle the ignition several times before attempting an actual start or you might get an MCSF message. It thinks it had low pressure in the system and throws up the error.

·
Registered
410 Posts
after changing, turn on the ignition, but don't start. This will prime the filter. You might have to cycle the ignition afew times to get rid of all the air.
You should start with the bleed screw closed and after turning the ignition while the fuel pump runs, turn off the ignition, slowly open the bleed screw till fuel come out. Shut the bleed screw, sorted.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just swap it out, it'll be fine :) even if you do get an error it'll clear after a few engine starts, biggest thing to look out for is spilling fuel from the old filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts