Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv read that when changing a duff turbo your supposed to do the oil.. my recon turbo should be here tomorrow for me to fit but due to funds can't get oil and filter till Friday. How dangerous or stupid would it be to drive for a few days without changing the oil?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Its usually the turbo supplier that demands the oil change as necessary for the warranty of the new turbo.
After a failure on the old turbo the oil usually gets cooked and or the turbo oil supply pipe filter screen may be blocked or the restrictor orifice in the turbo housing may be blocked leading to the original failure?
If no oil change you would want to at the least be happy that the filter screen and supply pipe are clear beforw fitting.
And after fitting crank over and 100% see oil coming out of turbo drain before fitting drain to sump pipe.
I know you caught yours before a total failure or runaway so oil shouldnt be cooked, but think if oil supply to turbo was ok what lead to wear in the turbo bearing ro start with?
Also i wouldnt do a flush.
This could wash crap into filter screen and orifice or even the new bearing being tighter clearance now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Midland turbo have just called me to give me a reason for my turbo packing up... They said it's from oil starvation and to change the oil feed pipe as it must be blocked so where is the best place to get one of these?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The pipe will be main dealer only, also check for any debris in the banjo bolts, especially the one at the engine block end.

It is good practice to change the oil after a turbo failure before starting the engine with a new turbo, and a good idea to change it again with the filter once its up to temp, 2 gallons of good 5w40 and a filter will be about £50 so not worth risking your new turbo and warranty for

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Midland turbo have just called me to give me a reason for my turbo packing up... They said it's from oil starvation and to change the oil feed pipe as it must be blocked so where is the best place to get one of these?
allways is the case when the journals wear....it doesnt have to be a blockage, just old thick oil is enough to cause problems

dont even think of fitting it with that old oil in !!

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Funny that, when my new turbo packed up after 12 miles they said it was contaminated oil, despite the fact that the oil and filter were new, and the turbo had been primed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
allways is the case when the journals wear....it doesnt have to be a blockage, just old thick oil is enough to cause problems

Old thick oil... So is there no reason I can't just take it to work and blow the oil feed pipe out or is there something inside the pipe?... When I disconnected it from the turbo it did drip oil for a bit.. and there was a bit of oil in the outlet pipe.. and the turbo wasn't exactly dry when I opened it up either :-\

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Old thick oil... So is there no reason I can't just take it to work and blow the oil feed pipe out or is there something inside the pipe?... When I disconnected it from the turbo it did drip oil for a bit.. and there was a bit of oil in the outlet pipe.. and the turbo wasn't exactly dry when I opened it up either :-\

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
No you need a new pipe, what sometimes happens with flexi pipes is as they are made of several layers the inside most layer cracks and the pressure gets under it and balloons out inside so blocking the pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts