Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You ever get that feeling you should never have started a job?

My ICS is spread out around my desk in a multitude of bits and small piles of screws. I'm hoping I can put it back together and still have it work....

All the LEDs are surface mount, not an issue for me as I'm used to dealing with SMT parts. There is a LOT of soldering to be done :eek: This is not a job for the faint hearted.

Anyone got a spare? ;)

I'm also looking at a slightly improved tape input reuse wiring. I can't find any of my old tapes to test with, does anyone know if you can turn off the Dolby noise reduction on the tape player?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah look a little bright compaired to the subdued light of the green ones. How did you find de-soldering the old ones and fitting the new ones?
I've had my ICS apart too, to see if you can fit a touchscreen overlay infront of the screen, but so far haven't been able to source a 5" sized one. The idea in the end is to connect up an incar computer, as seen it done before, but as a complete new build in the dashboard. But hopefuly an interesting future project. So if anyone knows where you can get 5" sized touchscreen overlays with usb interface that would be a good start!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm used to SMT soldering and these LEDs are huge compared to what I normally deal with :) Plus having 2 soldering irons helps a lot. Got some much dimmer LEDs to try.

I've also looked into 5" touchscreens and drawn a blank.

My current project is to get the ICS to switch to the video input and not change audio source.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It is a cool project to change the smt leds, will give you a unique look to your interior.
Bit disappointing to know you've drawn a blank too with the touch screen overlay. I still have a couple of leads left, through some manufactures, to see if they supply or make to order the right size to fit. It’s not lost cause yet and good to know I'm not the only one with mad ideas! As I realy fancied using 'Centrafuse' as the front end interface, although I did read on a user forum someone using a 3d mouse to control, looks a bit like the BMW idrive controler, just much cooler!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use a selection of touchscreens at work but our supplier was not interested in doing a non-standard size. :(

My plan was to use an 'idrive' style knob controller. Such as the griffin powermate.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
you guys are the new 166 uber-geeks :D

Keep up the good work....i love these projects even though i know they are way beyond my ability!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
you guys are the new 166 uber-geeks :D

Keep up the good work....i love these projects even though i know they are way beyond my ability!
me too Niall me too

technology has advanced so much it has left me behind......but are they any good with spanners:cheese:
They probably R
Pomeo

·
Registered
303 Posts
On another upgrade possibility was looking at the 147/156 steering wheels with audio controls, and they look the same as those fitted to the later f/l 166. Just wondering if it they are interchangeable, albeit with having to change the mounting boss, for the additionl contact points for the wiring. Would be intersting to know as there seem to be plenty of 147 being broken for spares about. Any thoughts on that one anyone?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
On another upgrade possibility was looking at the 147/156 steering wheels with audio controls, and they look the same as those fitted to the later f/l 166. Just wondering if it they are interchangeable, albeit with having to change the mounting boss, for the additionl contact points for the wiring. Would be intersting to know as there seem to be plenty of 147 being broken for spares about. Any thoughts on that one anyone?
Not sure if this thread would be any use to you?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...essed-i-would-like-to-spec-up-my-166-a-2.html

Stuart

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of our screen suppliers lists one, I've asked for a price.

Its not quite wide enough (active area doesn't go to the edge) and is just a touch too tall so you'd need to grind away some of the plastic.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Let me know what kind of price if you get one. Might do the trick as don't need edge to edge touch anyways. That a bare overlay or including usb interface?
Trying to find inexpensive and practical ways of switching screen inputs from standard to 'other' while still keeping full operation of standard unit, as if you'd just pressed from 'audio' to 'nav', just an extra button to computer. Something like this american project, albeit it already had touchscreen as standard.
2006 Acura TL OEM Navi Touchscreen Integration - MP3Car.com
But good site for some inspiration. Think we'll have to start a new thread for this project.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got the datasheet for the screen :)

I'd like to crack the nav input. I've got no nav nor do I want the stock alfa nav as the discs are years out of date now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah would be good to crack this, if no easy way to enable input, my have to go back to the scart moded cable design, using a VIA EPIA NL-Series Nano-ITX Board as it has a TV out connector for S-Video, Composite, and Component (YPbPr/SCART/D-Terminal).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts