Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm replacing my 30mm lowering springs for standard springs and when I tighten the top nut up the damper rod is way over to one side. Using Bilstein B6 Sport dampers. It's really odd and I can't see where I'm going from. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
There is an elastic rubber 'block' between the damper rod and metal part of the spring seat. The damper rod is attached directly to the rubber block, the spring 'attached' in the seat. The spring seat isn't concentric with the damper rod, but offset to one side of it, so the top of the spring is also offset from the rod axis. When the 'strut' is off the car, compressive force in the spring loads one side of the offset seat more than the other, the seat tilts, the rubber block distorts, and the spring 'bends' (because there is more compressive force acting on one side of it relative to the other side).

As edraven said, it should all be good when the 'strut' is installed in the chassis. The rubber will 'undistort' and the seat tilt back to the correct angle as the protruding studs are tightened down on the chassis (or the cars' weight is lowered onto the 'strut'). The spring will also 'straighten' and move away from the side of the damper tube (where the damper tube is now touching or nearly touching the spring).

With my 147 I found the studs were very reluctant to be re-inserted into the corresponding holes in the aluminium casting (to which the strut and upper wishbone attach). I drilled these holes very slightly over-size and the studs went in easily.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you chaps, that makes sense. I'll bolt them to the car after my new top arms have arrived and cross my fingers that they centre a bit better.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I'm replacing my 30mm lowering springs for standard springs and when I tighten the top nut up the damper rod is way over to one side. Using Bilstein B6 Sport dampers. It's really odd and I can't see where I'm going from. Any ideas?
Hi Mr_G. I have a 147TS 2.0 and just bought a set of B6 Bilstein dampers. I'm in two minds weather use a set of Eibach 30mm lower springs (that I presume also have a higher spring rate) or use the standard 147TS springs. Whats driven you to switch back to the standard springs? Cheers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats driven you to switch back to the standard springs?
Purely for practicality reasons. I'm tired of the ally undertray hitting speedhumps and occasionally catching the front splitter. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the lowered looks and if I used the car in a location with no speedhumps or curbs, etc I'd keep it as it is.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Purely for practicality reasons. I'm tired of the ally undertray hitting speedhumps and occasionally catching the front splitter. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the lowered looks and if I used the car in a location with no speedhumps or curbs, etc I'd keep it as it is.

Can you advise the make of springs used? Are they OE springs or aftermarket brand?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts