Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... is it straight forward?

Basically, the story goes like this...

Saturday, over a speed bump with the drivers window down. Something went clunk in the door. I was near home so kept going. As i pulled up outside the house the window dropped at the front and popped out at the back. I grabbed the window (Spidergirl style, sticky fingers) while OH popped the door card to see what went clunk. Basically the window runner and mech is f:rant:d so was looking at new ones, used ones, and came across a door for the same price in good nick. All acoutic lining and wire looms are present, speakers and glass too. Needs door handle and wing mirror but i was thinking that i could harvest those from my door. I'll need a window/ mirror switch box but thats all.

So is it easy enough to swap over? I'm more worried about making sure that nothing will need recoding. Cant afford to fall into that trap :(

Also, since the door card has been off, the boot release isn't working, from the fob or from the button on the dash. What could have happened there? :confused:

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The 147 has CANBUS and funny things can happen if you disconnect bits of the loom and try and get other parts to work (i seem to recall a thread that specifically mentions the drivers door and its window switch).

Nothing should need recoding but you will obviously have to swap over the door lock itself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Rockhopper :thumbs:

My odometer was flashing anyway as i've changed the window switch previously, and although somewhat annoying everything was working okay. Getting the Canbus reset to fix the flash was on my list of things to do, glad i didn't do it!

Check straps are on that list too (another minor anoyance!:lol:)

Is it easy enough switching the lock from my existing door to the donor door?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
There is some kind of CABNUS realignment process I've read about that involves unplugging the drivers door but you'd need to do a search to make sure on that one!
No idea how to swap the lock though!

·
Registered
726 Posts
When you get the replacement door, you will have to make sure it perfectly, as the alignment of the door fit is a real pain in the arse, in the end, I had to get my door aligned by a car bodyshop. So I would just sort out the existing door rather then put a replacement door on, unless you want a door which fits so badly that howls in the wind and lets in water! Unless is obviously fits perfectly!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you get the replacement door, you will have to make sure it perfectly, as the alignment of the door fit is a real pain in the arse, in the end, I had to get my door aligned by a car bodyshop. So I would just sort out the existing door rather then put a replacement door on, unless you want a door which fits so badly that howls in the wind and lets in water! Unless is obviously fits perfectly!
My OH works next to a body shop, they owe him a favour or 3 :lol:

The only reason i was leaning towards a whole new door is because there is a square patch on the paint that the lacquer doesn't exist on, and whilst its not super noticeable, i know its there, and that was on my list of things to do :lol:

·
Registered
726 Posts
My OH works next to a body shop, they owe him a favour or 3 :lol:

The only reason i was leaning towards a whole new door is because there is a square patch on the paint that the lacquer doesn't exist on, and whilst its not super noticeable, i know its there, and that was on my list of things to do :lol:
Get the replacement door, and get the bodyshop to align it, I gave up on trying to align my door.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other thing is the door comes with a check strap, no more clunking!

When you swapped your doors how easy was the outside door handle to fit?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have an 156, it took about an hour with all the fiddling and connecting up the linkages to the door handle, I don't know if the 147 is any different to the door handle arrangement of the 156. Make sure the replacement door sits flush with the rest of the car, so it is not jarring out and is aligned properly with the sealing rubbers.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Unless you're lucky, it will be faded to a different colour, especially if it's red. And in my experience no parts supplier takes much care when removing panels from scrap cars because they assume they're getting painted, so it will probably be scratched. I'd just fit a new window reg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts