Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after some advice or to check that I am goint to be doing it correctly and not end up with a dead battery.

The filter seems to just be a screw in much like and oil filter, i lossened the old one last night just to make sure. I have been told by a mechanic to puta bottle of injector cleaner into the new filter prior to fitting to give the injectors a good clean through. I have also read that by turning on the ignition a couple of times will prime the diesel line and pump some diesel into the filter.

Also got a new air filter to fit so hoping it will run a bit better tonight, spend two hours last night removing the old bolts from the air filter housing and fitting new ones, what a pain in the back of a job that was:mad:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In reply to my own post for anyone that needs this advice in the future, I tried the above method and it worked a treat the car started after a couple of turns.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
when i replace diesel fuel filter i leave the outlet pipe off & trurn the key to MAR to blee dout the air in the new filter.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I find it much easier to fill the new filter with fresh diesel, lubricate new seal rings with diesel, re-assemble and start up with one turn of the key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you remove the old fuel filter will much diesel spill out?

Doing this job on other diesels this part of the system is under low pressure so its not a problem and I presume its the same with this one??

can anybody confirm?

Also when I filled my Mondeo one with injector cleaner it killed the MPG, I went from 550 miles per tank to 250 over night, took ages to get better again, so I won't be doing that again :rolleyes:

Air filter, what a nasty job, no wonder it hadn't been changed in a while :rolleyes:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On mine nothing really spilled out, just had what remained in the filter. If you don't fill it with injector cleaner then atleast put some diesel in it, it will help when restarting.

The air filter is the bigest pain in the nether regions, i took me longer to change then the thermostat once I repaired all three holes with various bits of metal work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heres how I got on may be useful

remove engine top cover, 3 bolts and a sharp tug at the oil filler side

Undo the diesel lines around the filter head which connect to the engine - these are simple connectors just squeeze the lugs and a gentle pull, hardly any diesel comes out but be ready with a rag.

Now you can get your hands on the filter, undo a small amount, may be 1/4 turn just to crack it off

Now undo 2x 13mm nuts holding filter head to bulkhead and gently pull it up out of the bay, watch for wires snagging. Undo the connector on the bottom of the filter (push the wire loop in to the connector to free it) Then have a helper slip an icecream container under the filter. Now you can undo the filter from the head and catch all spills.

Take your new filter, I had to take the water sensor off the bottom of the old one and pop it in the new, it comes with a plastic plg in the bottom, otherwise identical, I'd imagine thats what you are supposed to do. Then fill with diesel - nearly to the top. rub a bit round the rubber seals on the top.

Fit the filter to the head, tightening instructions on side of filter. Replace connector to bottom, hang the filter back on the bulkhead and replace nuts and diesel lines - listen for the click,

Start car, all good, check for leaks :thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts