Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done 2 or 3 of non-air-con cars, pull out old rad, drop in new rad, no hassle, i didn't even have to fully remove the bumper. This air-con one is more greif than I expected.

I had spent 40 mins removing bumper, wiring loom, cooling fan & coolant. I then fought with the coolant rad [ + air-con rad + cowelling as a set ] for a good 20 mins trying to remove the set. I even had to remove the air box.

When re-fitting should I fit the air-con rad & cowelling seperately & bolt it onto the coolant rad when its back in place? I'm guessing yes.

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
You shouldn't have removed the A/C rad at all....!
You just support the A/C rad and cowling in situ and unbolt it from the main rad.
Refit the new rad the bolt the A/C rad and cowling back on to it.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chill David, turns out that the air-con rad was also leaking, so it needs replacing too. There was no gas in the air-con system

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The official factory way of doing it is to take both rads out together then regass the system afterwards. I'm a tightarse so i left the AC rad in the car, didn't even need to take the bumper off, you can get to the fixings though the mesh grille by the fog lights.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've fitted both rads [ coolant & air-con ] & the cowelling as a set. Once all coolant pipes & air-con pipes were removed it wa smuch easier. Now there are no more coolant leaks. The only thing is that the fan is now not working when the fan relay clicks, perhaps the resistor is burnt out, i'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The resistors tend to just come apart when you disturb them, you can bypass it if you don't mind the fan running at high speed whenever it comes on.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fecking resistor had broken away from its holder, very brittle piece of stuff :) All sorted now, thanks. :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
The official factory way of doing it is to take both rads out together then regass the system afterwards. I'm a tightarse so i left the AC rad in the car, didn't even need to take the bumper off, you can get to the fixings though the mesh grille by the fog lights.
+1 good old 1/4 drive with extensions:cool:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the time it takes to remove it, it's worth taking the buper off. Particularly on the V6's. Better access means less chance of collateral damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts