Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT Jtdm has now done 97k and the clutch is on its last legs, now slipping in 2nd :(
I dont know what the condition of the flywheel is like. i want to buy the parts, but i dont want to buy the flywheel before hand if i dont require one. whats the likehood the dmf will need changing?

Kind regards, Mark:thumbs:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Unfortunately one of those do I/don't I.

Problem here is that the DMF will be worn (extent to be verified), so if you put a new clutch onto a worn DMF it might only last another 20K before you are paying another big bill.

My advice is, (if your finances can cope), change it now with the clutch and save yourself another labour charge

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your right i think ill kill 2 birds, next question is. i had a remap done around 60k should i be looking at an uprated clutch and if so what makes should i be considering?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am convinced the best course is to change the DMF for the GTA solid flywheel, and then fit the GTA clutch kit to match. You can by the flywheels for reasonable money used.

The car will rev better (8.5 kg fly compared to over 14kg DMF!!) and you will have one less part to fail.

It does make the transmission a little less cushioned, obviously, but I like that.

EDIT Excuse me, yours is the Diesel; I don't know if the GTA clutch and fly will fit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you are considering an up-rated clutch, check out AHMs website, their one works really well. Adie is on this site as well. I think it is the 170 bhp clutch with further modifications to give better performance. Had mine fitted over a year ago without any troubles since.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I had the same problem as you mark. I changed my slipping clutch (120k) and left the DMF only for it to go about 20K later. They are best part of £500. I considered changing to a solid flywheel as a kit is available. (I'll pull it up for you if you want) although that costs a bit more. Are you getting any vibrations at high speed? I used to get a mild one which I thought was driveshafts but after changing them it was still there. Turned out the the DMF was slightly misalligned although the side to side play was still ok when it was stripped a second time. Personally I'd try and get it done as 97K is a pretty good innings for one unles you are very light on your clutch like I am.

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
I am convinced the best course is to change the DMF for the GTA solid flywheel, and then fit the GTA clutch kit to match. You can by the flywheels for reasonable money used.

The car will rev better (8.5 kg fly compared to over 14kg DMF!!) and you will have one less part to fail.

It does make the transmission a little less cushioned, obviously, but I like that.

EDIT Excuse me, yours is the Diesel; I don't know if the GTA clutch and fly will fit.
All JTD have 6 bolt flywheels, V6s use 8 bolts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah im getting vibration in cabin, going to bite the bullet and get them both sorted...struggling to find a uprated clutch and dmf for a fair price, i dont have the confidence to buy separately as i cant be sure they will fit the existing housing... seen a few standard packs such as this one on ebay...New OE ALFA ROMEO GT 1.9 JTD Flywheel & Clutch Kit Set £439.00
Any recommendations on suppliers would be a great help.
dick dast....i checked the website out but had little info on it.
thanks for the advise, mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts