Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm changing my clutch on Sunday - bit scared but can't afford to get it done so no choice. I have some help from a friend with a post lift though so that should at least make it easier.

My question to you is should I look out for any problems in particular, and do I need to change the gearbox oil? If so do Halfrauds sell anything suitable? I would go in and ask them but let's be honest, they're not gonna know :rolleyes:

Tried a thread search but no joy :( Hope you guys can help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, you dont need to change it, but you'll need to top it up as you'll loose some when you remove the shafts.

Ask your mate if he has some gearbox oil, sounds like he's in the trade.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Fiats, Lannies' and Alfas, all thrive imo, on a fully synthetic transmission oil, if they are not already worn out?:(: Go for it,....David C's recommendation for Redline has got to be tops, but it is 'Liquid Gold'. :):

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fiats, Lannies' and Alfas, all thrive imo, on a fully synthetic transmission oil, if they are not already worn out?:(: Go for it,....David C's recommendation for Redline has got to be tops, but it is 'Liquid Gold'. :):
So do Halfords sell anything suitable? Thanks for your advice so far

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, looks like I'm going for Comma 75w90 Semi Synth for the gearbox. What do you guys reckon? And is it two litres I need?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What an absolute pig of a job. I mean, seriously, what a total nightmare. I love my car but working on this has shown me just how little thought went into its design. At the moment there's one small bolt holding the starter motor on and it's practically impossible to get to. The amount of stuff you have to take off is just unbelievable - the subframe, the front exhaust, the gearbox linkages, the air filter, practically half the bloody car... I won't be doing this again, no way. Oh, and a bolt has sheared off in my steering rack. Brilliant...

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
:( Ouch, sounds nasty Rob, bet you wish you'd never started. I think a lot of jobs on modern cars are like this, one of the reasons I have more or less given up spannering - far too frustrating.

Anyway, you've started so you'll have to finish, hope all goes well on the rest of the job, next month you'll be able to look back and laugh about it as you tell the tale to your mates !

Good luck.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Nige. You're right, I do wish I'd never started - just couldn't afford to get the garage to do it. Hopefully that bolt will come out eventually and we'll get it all stuck back together. I just don't understand why Alfa would make a consumable part so difficult to get to :confused:

·
16,368 Posts
I'm sure you'll get there Rob.

All manufacturers seem to make life difficult these days, perhaps intentionally to put off the DiYers, perhaps not, either way it's a pain.

The professional electronics industry has been doing this for years. One particular bit of kit I remember was a Racal Frequency Synthesiser, often failed due to a £1 mini relay..............took two days to get to it, 10 minutes to replace and then another two days to rebuild, madness.

Strayed a bit off topic there Rob. Whilst I'd still tackle electronic kit like this I feel a car is different, working outside, cold dark and dirty, not for me anymore. Press on and let us know that you have it all sorted.

Cheers.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep will do. Fortunately I'm doing it at a friend's house, and he has an excellent workshop with a lift which makes things a bit easier. I'll let you know how it turns out

·
16,368 Posts
:thumbs: That's a relief Rob, I was imagining you laid on the drive under a jacked up car, not nice. Still not nice but at least you will have the best chance working in a nice garage.

Cheers.

A

·
0 Posts
What an absolute pig of a job. I mean, seriously, what a total nightmare. I love my car but working on this has shown me just how little thought went into its design. At the moment there's one small bolt holding the starter motor on and it's practically impossible to get to. The amount of stuff you have to take off is just unbelievable - the subframe, the front exhaust, the gearbox linkages, the air filter, practically half the bloody car... I won't be doing this again, no way. Oh, and a bolt has sheared off in my steering rack. Brilliant...
I would have thought they were designed like this so any work done is likely to be done at the dealers

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have thought they were designed like this so any work done is likely to be done at the dealers
You may well be right, but to deliberately make a car hard to work on in order to extract more money from its owner is just rude, IMO.

In the end we welded a nut to the ~3mm of sheared off steering rack bolt that was protruding and warmed up the rack with a blowtorch to loosen it. Took about 30mins and a lot of WD40 but it came out.

The car is now all back together with a new clutch and the difference is amazing! I did consider the GTA flywheel and clutch, but due to the extra cost involved, and the fact that I'd lose the engine braking effect offered by the original setup, I went for a like for like replacement. It's like a new car! The new gearbox oil has helped, too!

Glad the huge amount of work involved turned out to be just about worth it!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Flags out all around, and well done!:): Some cars are indeed a DIY nightmare, difficult enough when you ae working in the trade, with the backup and equipment available.

I remember the first clutch I had to do on a 3.8 'E' Type FHC. Aargh! I soon realised why others kept their distance from the foreman, when he gave that one out, with the rest of the job sheets!:D

That's a firm reason for me to get a replacement for the 147, which is a Lego Motor, or perhaps more a Meccano machine, as that's more in keeping with my era?:lol: Simple stuff, for a simple old mind nowadays.:):

1 - 15 of 15 Posts