12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Renault or an Alfa ...

Renault
1. Jack the Car up
2. Remove the Wheel
3. Remove the Wheel arch trim
4. Remove the rubber trim around the light
5. Using both hands and being able see the fitting twist it off and remove the bulb
6. Search for half and hour looking for the bulbs you'd bought 4 months ago for the car, however have been putting off the "nightmare" job for so long you've lost them so find some crappy old bulb from the garage swap it it the one in your alfa and put the "new" bulb you've just taken out of the alfa and using both hands and being able to see what your doing put the new bulb in.
7. put it all back together

Alfa
1. Open the bonnet
2. Use your herculean strength to twist off the cap on the light unit
3. Unplug the light
4. Blind folded, using the extra joint you've had put into your forarm and the extra thumb you've had put on one hand unclip and remove the bulb
5. Get the new bulb, put it back in, upside down (because you can't see what you're doing)
6. Take it back out and put it back in
7. Plug the light back in
8. Put the cap back on
9. Test the light, realise that it isn't seated correctly and go back to step 2.

Hmmm not sure .... :lol::lol::lol:

V

·
0 Posts
never mind that.

is that a dvd screen fitted to your dash? and what info is it displaying?

·
0 Posts
I have yet to experience the pleasure of changing a bulb on my Alfa - now I have posted this, one will blow tomorrow :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never mind that.

is that a dvd screen fitted to your dash? and what info is it displaying?
:rolleyes: DVD player :tut: I think you'll find it's illegal to have a DVD player in view of the driver ... :lol: that my friend is a fully integrated carputer, the info displayed is the temperature and fuel level (the screen takes up the space the gauges normally sit) check out http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/172631-156chriss-carputer-install.html

I have yet to experience the pleasure of changing a bulb on my Alfa - now I have posted this, one will blow tomorrow :lol:
I'll book you in for the appointment to get the modifications required to your limbs then :lol:

saves the question " How many Alfa owners does it take to change a light bulb ?"
usually a whole forum ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had to change one in a mates Peugot 206. That was harsh. I find out later that the official way to change it is to remove the grill and then the headlamp itself to gain access!!!

How hard is it for a designer to think, "There is a bulb in here that will blow several times in the cars life, lets make it accessable to change?!?!"

Haven't had to change an Alfa one yet (Touchwood!!)

S

·
0 Posts
GTV headlight bulb didn't seem too bad to change.

Saw a 5th gear once where they had a race between changing the bulb in a Megane vs servicing a Golf.

Seems to be another ploy to get people in to a dealership for minor servicing == increased income.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Aye!

I was grappling with my oil filter yesterday (lurcking up at the rear of the engine, accessed from below in the v6). It occurred to me that if you wanted to make something completely un-removable, you'd make it a cylinder, slightly bigger than a man's hand so he can't grip it, in an awkward place where he can't get both hands or any tools onto it, and the only tool that will fit is a metal chain or strap.. but of course, said cylinder is slightly oily so the chain or strap can't grip it either! :D

Ralf S.

K

·
0 Posts
Aye!

I was grappling with my oil filter yesterday (lurcking up at the rear of the engine, accessed from below in the v6). It occurred to me that if you wanted to make something completely un-removable, you'd make it a cylinder, slightly bigger than a man's hand so he can't grip it, in an awkward place where he can't get both hands or any tools onto it, and the only tool that will fit is a metal chain or strap.. but of course, said cylinder is slightly oily so the chain or strap can't grip it either! :D

Ralf S.
The thing with jobs like that usually is that if you had it on a wheels free lift six feet up in the air so you could stand up and use the full strength of your arms rather than being pinned at the shoulders on your back, it would be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Changing a side light bulb on a GT is impossible when you've got hands like mine!

·
Registered
548 Posts
On mine the cap has broken "handles" so it is almost impossible to open it.
Went to an indie to remove a daytime light. He wanted to disasemble the whole lightunit!
My Alfa garage did it in 2 minutes. I watched him and you could see that an alfa mech grows extralong flexible fingers over the years. :lol:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The Renault sounds like a nightmare. Surely that can't be legal? How are you supposed to do a swift bulb change at the side of the road?

The Alfa 156 is certainly fun when it comes to changing bulbs, but I have had the car so long now that I have changed each bulb at least once and have got used to it. It's all about technique.... :rolleyes:

Many years ago I had a V6 Mondeo and I noticed on my way home from work in the dark one night that one headlamp had gone. So I did a swift U turn and went to the local Ford dealer (where my car practically lived in the service bay anyway). They kindly offered to fit the bulb for me to save me getting dirt on my office clothes. Three mechanics and one hour later, the job was finally done. Luckily I only got charged for the bulb :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Sods law.

Last night, headlight bulb out.

Reasonably easy to get to, unscrew the cover, pull the connector off, take bulb out.

Except that nowhere sells GTV bulbs except Halfrauds. Cost a tenner! :eek:

And I think their Dipped / Main bulb numbers in the little book are round the wrong way, as I picked the dipped beam bulb, only to find the connector's grooves were wrong.

Took it back in and changed it for the other one, which fitted. But noticed that every single bulb box had been opened and sellotaped up again, so everybody must have the same issue!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I've had a sidelight bulb gone on my 156 since April. I've had the replacement bulb in the glovebox since then too.

Every time I switch the lights on I get the little yellow "bulb gone" symbol on the dash, and several times I've lifted the bonnet, got the new bulb ready, and even had a little prod at the rats nest of black wires at the back of the headlight unit. It looks like someones tied them up into one big granny know.

So far, after 5 minutes of looking at it and having a token tweak on some stuck fast caps, I've quietly put the bonnet down and put the new bulb back in the glove box.

I'm such a wuss.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts