Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The anti-roll bar bushes of my 156 v6 are banging around. How easy is it to remove the bar and change the bushes? I know the subframe has to drop which sounds tricky. Is it a case of changing the whole bar? -I have seen reference to polybush replacements. Do these slip over the ends once off the car? Normally I don't work on the car myself but cash is in shorter supply at present. Who's good in North Kent area?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The powerflex bush come with a split in the side of them so you can just slip em over the bar rather than push em all the way down the bar like the standard ones. Dont let the subframe thing scare you as its only a few bolts. Mine were all very easy to undo with no rusted on. You will want a braker bar though as they are quite tight. Don't forget to track it after as it will have probably moved a bit when everything was loose.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I changed mine with the ARB left in place; the hardest part was separating the bracket from the ARB.

A couple of hits with the air chisel (not as brutal as it sounds) and they came apart.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ARB bushes etc

Thanks for the advice. Sounds a much better option than changing the bar anyway.
The links are said to be ok, but is it worth changing them anyway whilst we are at it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Powerflex anti roll bar bushes

The powerflex bush come with a split in the side of them so you can just slip em over the bar rather than push em all the way down the bar like the standard ones.

I went onto the Powerflex site and they list x3 sizes. Is the 156 v6 a 22mm bar or 23/26mm?
Also they don't list a U clamp for the bush. Is the old removable without damage when in place. GTA Alfa in Brands Hatch also say change the whole bar. Powerflex factory burned down. Where did you get your bushes?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
You often find that the bar itself is corroded beneath the existing bush and simply fitting new ones won't always cure the knocks. This is why Alfa don't sell bushes separately.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Ye my bar has rusted under the rear bush, I been having trouble to find a dealer nearby as the they closed down. I think they're do Fiat and Ford now though, he said they have to buy expensive Alfa courtesy cars if they become Alfa dealers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never thought of the bar rusting underneath, which would also reduce the size and make it knock still.
Is it a common problem? Might be worth taking the risk cos there are the cheap option if it reduces the labour cost a few hours.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is there a guide on how to change just the bushes? I think I need to do mine, don't fancy the £250 price tag to replace the whole thing right now but really wanna get rid of that knocking!! Will end up doing something with the suspension is the near future but just as a quick fix I'll just change the bushes.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Ye my bar has rusted under the rear bush, I been having trouble to find a dealer nearby as the they closed down. I think they're do Fiat and Ford now though, he said they have to buy expensive Alfa courtesy cars if they become Alfa dealers.
Try shop4parts ... mail order Alfa parts!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts