Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently brought a new set of alloys with nankang sv 2 snow tyres but when I have tried to put them on the car, there are two bolts which stick out once you remove the old alloys, preventing the new ones from going on. Can you remove them and how. Please help

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
When I put on my wheel spacers I had them. They come out easy, just get some pluses and pull them out. Don't ask me what they are actualy for thou lol

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I think those bolts hold the discs to the hubs!

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
They are probably the disc retaining bolts. If so, all they really do is stop the disc moving about when the wheel is off the car. It's most likely that when the car has been on the road for a few months the disc is rusted to the hub so it won't move even if the retaining bolts are removed.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Amazingly they are only there to help you locate wheels on hub when you change wheel, the bolts go into holes on back of wheel and line up the wheel bolt holes

·
Administrator
87,034 Posts
Are you sure their main job isn't to keep the holes in the disc aligned with the holes in the hub so you can fit the wheel studs ;)

I know on some Alfas they also can be used for what you have said but only for cars fitted with steel rims & for the spacesaver spare, not sure about the Mito but some of the other Alfas have a locating pin as part of the toolkit which is used to align the holes for alloys.

·
Registered
339 Posts
They are a FIAT group thing that has been around for donkeys years. I had them on the old rust buckets i was driving over 20 years ago! :lol:

They do indeed perform 2 functions.
1. Locate the disc to the hub to ease assembly and maintenance until the 'rust in place' 'design feature' kicks in.. :rolleyes: :lol:
2. Locate steel wheels onto the hub so bolts can more easily be inserted.

They aren't strictly speaking necessary if using alloys / studs / nuts. You can safely replace them with cut down bolts (half height head) or remove them entirely if you wish!

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
I think those bolts hold the discs to the hubs!
no they dont.
Yes they do...!

Are you sure their main job isn't to keep the holes in the disc aligned with the holes in the hub so you can fit the wheel studs ;)
Exactly.

With the locating bolts removed there is a chance of the disc moving when you take a wheel off and as a result getting debris between disc & hub, which will be annoying on the dark wet night when you get a flat tyre... :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Best to safely replace them with cut down bolts (half height head) so that there is no disc movement when the wheel is removed for any reason

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Best to safely replace them with cut down bolts (half height head) so that there is no disc movement when the wheel is removed for any reason
Some aftermarket wheels have no recess in the mounting face at all, so you would need to counter-sink the hole in the disc and use a countersunk head bolt.

Some makes of cars have that already.

·
Registered
573 Posts
@David C

ha - thought gazza was making a wry comment on the bolts holding the wheels on (ie wheel nuts)

not the locators

but yes, in all seriousness - those locator bolts hare actually quite helpful i found when putting wheel back on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts