Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, the subject title says it all. I am thinking of selling my beloved 164 QV in the summer this year. I just feel it's time for a change, even though the car is near mint and in perfect working order. I want something a bit more modern and, obviously, it has to be an Alfa. The 166 3.0 seems like the obvious upgrade.

Am I mad to go for a 166 3.0 or should I stick with what I've got? If I could afford it, I'd have both! I would dearly love a 166 with all the body kit and upgraded 17-inch alloys with 6-speed manual, but they are rare as hen's teeth!

Let me know your thoughts. I will probably have the 164 on display at Spring Alfa Day and National Alfa Day along with the Brooklands Auto Italia day. :confused:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Would love a 166 myself. Not being rude, but if you can afford one, you can probably afford to keep the 164 - I don't think they hold too much value. 164 3.0 24v and a 166 3.0 24v, I would love to have those two in my garage.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I think I'd miss the QV's handling and speed TBH. Though the toys might make up for it!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I have had acouple of 164's and now have a 166. My brother used to have a QV 24v which I drove regularly. The 166 is a great motor and a good step forward from the 164 - Take your time and you will get the right one, I was looking for a while before I found mine. I almost went for the more readily available sportronic but waited until a manual came up.

I have got a Super - For the UK this means 3.0 V6 24v, 6spd manual, lowered suspension and Sport Throttle Response (2.0 V6 Turbo also in mainland Europe). Handling and performance are good and match the QV (226bhp pre 2001, 220bhp post 2001). Some photos of mine -

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/dougie20vt/166 Super/

I have done an autotrader search for 166 3.0 V6 Manual and came up with the following, first and second ones look very good value -

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...ap&ukcarsearch_full.x=56&ukcarsearch_full.y=6

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
164 is a damm good car! i love the way it rides and drives and goes!.........but the 166 is unbeliveable, its everything u want the 164 to be, nothing more nothing less to sum it up!

Youll love it.....every bit of it! They way it handles they way it goes STR is pritty good as well!.................Both in the garage would look good!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both in the garage would look very good, but forgot to mention there's a 75 T Spark Veloce in there, so the 166 would definately have to replace the 164 QV! I would be heartbroken to see it go, but have had it for over four years now and feel it's time for a change before any more large bills.

I've just re-newed the wishbones and the clutch not so long ago so, along with all the other jobs completed, it's ready for another 100,000 miles.

I have driven a 166 3.0 Super 6-speed manual and was very impressed, especially with the 'Sport' button! I'm just worried that I'll regret getting rid of the 164 as it's such a fantastic toy (sorry, I mean car)!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I'll never ever forget my 164 leaf... to this day i've yet to drive a big car with the road presence it had... my highlight was motoring along at approximatly twice the legal limit and feeling as though I was in a big kart... if you decide to sell the leaf, I'd definatly be interested, and my garage is empty right now, awaiting an Alfa to be loved and looked after :inlove:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I would be interested in purchasing your Cloverleaf, what year is your Cloverleaf and what is the present mileage ? When was the cambelt changed ?
Can you send me any pics of your car and would it be ok for me to come and view your car as i am based near Heathrow.

Let me know if thats ok

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Has Unkle Munkle seen jyoti99's post? bump to top of list :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts