Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed the air filter for my 156 V6 and all seemed well until I took it for a drive and found that the brake pedal is stuck in position that it goes to when in park, while driving. The brakes still work although not very well at all and the pedal itself does not have much movement. The brakes were perfectly fine before doing this and the pedal gave a wide range of movement, I have no idea what I could have done to trigger this.

·
Registered
471 Posts
sounds like you've disconnected the servo vacuum connection when removing the filter, check the intake near the throttle body for any loose/broken hoses as a starting point. I notice too on mine there is one either side of the throttle body and an odd looking plastic connector at the back of the engine that can come apart, or did on my previous v6. That left the pedal hard when it happened too so I pressed it back together and cable-tied to keep it securely joined.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These 2 (valves?) or connections were disconnected from when I had changed the air filter, I put them back together and voila the brake pedal is back to working. problem is they seem to have only been held in place by some sort of silicone/silastic and are now not what i'd call securely connected as it's only the force of the bent hose holding them in place. Is this what you mean to use cable-ties on to secure?

·
Registered
471 Posts
yep that's the one, silly arrangement IMHO and it can come apart if the stabiliser bush has a lot of play too, happened on my prev V6 one time which was a bit of a shock. I put a cable tie onto this one as soon as I got it so I wouldn't get any sudden surprises and it's never come apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts