Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has someone changed the gasket, or knows how to do ?
my alfa 155 1,8 TS looses coolingwather between head an gasket !
i have found no book or something else, please help me !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MARCUS
I JUST CHANGED ME OWN CAM BELT ( 2L 155)AND GOT IT WRONG..... SO AFTER BENDING 8 OUT OF 16 VALVES I TOOK HEAD OFF ,SENT IT OFF FOR NEW VALVES AND A SKIM. I GOT IT BACK AND SENT IT TO A GUY CALLED TERRY MULLIGAN IN HEANER DERBYSHIRE.
I BOUGHT NEW BELT , VARIATER( AMUST) BELT TENSIONER ,HEAD SET ,BALANCING BELT AND HEAD BOLTS. MOST OF THESE ARE A MUST.
HE CHARGE ME £170 LABOUR. ISHOPED AROUND FOR BEST PARTS PRICES ,SO THEY WAS IN CAR WHEN I TOOK IT IN..VERY RESNABLE.
IT ENT A EASY JOB , FOR THAT MONEY IT ENT WORTH STRUGGLEING.
LET ME KNOW IF YA WANT HIS PHONE NUMBER AND ILL DIG IT OUT FOR YA.
DANEROUSE DAVE
PS THIS GUY HAS ALL THE RIGHT TOOLS CAM LOCKS ECT...AND YES YOU DO NEED EM.. eek! eek!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you dave, but mike is right, a verry long way from germany ! especially with blown
head ! i would need much stops and plenty more of wather !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HELLO CHAPS
HOW ARE YA??
OK I F**KED UP, I NEVER NOTICED YA FROM GERMANY. :eek:
BUT THE TRIP WOULD BE GOOD, BUT YA QUITE RIGHT ALONG WAY WITH BUSTED GASKET.
SEE YA LATER
GOOD LUCK WITH YA HEAD.
:D DANGEROUS :D DAVE :D
ONLY TRYING TO HELP :confused: :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm fine, thank you !
you can't notice me before, because im brand new here ! yes, this would be a very nice trip,
never ever stayed in gb ! we went last year to south france with my alfa, it was great !
i have orderd now a head set, maybe some infos are in there ! the shop owner said he can also get some infos from a mechanic who repairs heads !
maybe we can meet somewhere or sometimes !
thanks a lot !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a TS 8v, make sure that your water and oil don't mix, check the dipstick, as water in your oil can cause a lot of damage.
If your engine is the 8v, I should think the replacement of the gasket would be quite easy. I have done a few on the Giuliettas, no prob. Just make sure the head surface is straight. Skim maybe to make sure.

Good luck.
Jacques

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I agree with the last point, my old MR2 had a headgasket about 18months ago and just the other day the oil cap mayo is back, aaaagh ! :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That filler cap goo isn't always the head gasket. On a lot of modern cars the crankcase breather is too narrow, fills up with oily goo and then the mayo' has nowhere to go except under the oil filler cap.

If your coolant level goes down and the oil on the dipstick look milky then chances are the head gasket is leaking but more likely the goo will be caused by condensation in the engine.

Get a new thermostat fitted and only use the car for long trips for a week and then see if there's any new crud under there. I bet there won't.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is an 8V !
i checked the oil, it's already clear ! the thermostathousing is a good idea !
it's on the right side of the engine when i stay in front !?!
i will look after it, thanks !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts