Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash on my 159 JTDm 1.9 tells me "Change Engine Oil". The car has had an oil change 6k ago using 5/40 fully synthetic oil and it is a motorway driven car,There is 12k left on the service interval and the level is full. Have not driven the car for 2 days and i am off to the garage this morning to drop the oil and filter again using Castrol Edge 5/40 full synthetic diesel this time(ouch!!)
Anybody else had this before?

·
Registered
204 Posts
........ snip ..........
Anybody else had this before?
Not me, since I have a gasoline engine, but there is a popular Internet search engine called "Google" which indicates that plenty of people have had this exact problem.

If I'm not mistaken, your engine has a sensor to measure oil quality. According to the Google results I found, these sensors are sometimes faulty; i.e. they produce the "change oil" warning even when the oil is OK.

I have no idea how to check the sensor, how difficult it is to change, or how much a new one costs. But before I discarded and replaced relatively new oil and oil filters too many times, I'd consider the reliability of the quality sensor.

Perhaps a diesel owner will chime in and offer first hand experience in this area.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Who did the oil change? Your car has an oil degredation sensor that needs to be reset after an oil change.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it in my mates garage(his business not at the back of the house) just dropped the oil this am and re set the oil degradation code as well so hopefully that should sort it out.
Lessons learnt and all that

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Its because the 'oil change' warning is based on mileage and not degredation. As your oil change mileage was not reset when you originally changed the oil its displayed the message from when it was last reset.

Your oil wont degrade over 6k miles it just needs the 'oil change warning' reset with FES

·
Administrator
87,052 Posts

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
* Cough * http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/319457-oil-change-warning-on-dash.html#post4591548

I'm not sure if you read the replies to the above thread but perhaps you should read your Owner's Manual or look at the part David C quoted as well as the attachment I uploaded to the thread linked to above before making that statement again.
** Cough *** I have read my owners manual thank you and nothing in there or even the quote from David C. Are the specs manuals different from MY2008?

Do you want me to scan the page as proof?

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
The statement I quoted in the other thread looks to have been added to later manuals to make it clearer.

There is another poor translation on page 156 of your 2008 Brera manual.
It says "Exhaust Oil", which I'm sure should actually be Exhausted Oil....

·
Administrator
87,052 Posts
The quote from David C isn't in the 02_2008 Online Manual however the attachment I included containing the following relevant text is present:

(**) Engine oil and oil filter shall actually be changed according to the conditions of use of the car and it is indicated by the relevant message on the instrument panel display (see section “Warning lights and messages”).

EG Oil changes aren't scheduled on the service schedule related to mileage ( DPF versions )

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your oil wont degrade over 6k miles it just needs the 'oil change warning' reset with FES
I agree my oil should not have degraded in 6k especially having an easy life on the motorway at sensible speeds. I did not re set the oil warning light last time, "i have now":thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts