Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my infotainment I'm due a service in 17 days or 1780 miles. I had the car serviced last March ..

The Change Oil Warning light has just started coming on when you start the car.. obviously I fully intend to get the car serviced in the next few weeks but am I good to drive the car for a few hundred miles before I take it into Alfa for the scheduled service.. just concerned the warning light might be saying the oil has degraded and will start damaging the engine etc. Oil level is normal ...

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
According to my infotainment I'm due a service in 17 days or 1780 miles. I had the car serviced last March ..

The Change Oil Warning light has just started coming on when you start the car.. obviously I fully intend to get the car serviced in the next few weeks but am I good to drive the car for a few hundred miles before I take it into Alfa for the scheduled service.. just concerned the warning light might be saying the oil has degraded and will start damaging the engine etc. Oil level is normal ...

Thanks
Yeah, starts a month early with the warning, very annoying :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yeah, starts a month early with the warning, very annoying :)
No excuses for “forgetting” to get a service booked and done in time though :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sounds like the oil warning has come on separately to the countdown for miles/days, possibly because it's degraded. Pretty sure most/all Stelvio/Giulia engines have an oil degradation sensor don't they?

In any case, I imagine up to 500 miles will do little harm, though the manual or Alfa Customer Service/your Retailer could advise of any official guidance. It used to be 1 month/1000 miles within the due date to avoid compromising warranty but with the independent oil warnings i'm less sure.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm booked in Thursday for the service.. Not sure what triggers it.. whether it's actual physical oil properties degraded (via sensor), mileage or elapsed time? Will ask them for some clarity.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm booked in Thursday for the service.. Not sure what triggers it.. whether it's actual physical oil properties degraded (via sensor), mileage or elapsed time? Will ask them for some clarity.
Alfa used to work out the likely oil quality from the number of DPF Regens on their diesel engines, but there was no actual quality sensor. However more lately I think some engines have been fitted with a sensor monitoring the actual quality, so best to check on Thursday.

·
Registered
37,342 Posts

Calculation-based or intelligent oil life monitors use multiple inputs to determine the health of the oil. GM’s first Oil Life Monitor (OLM) that used more than just mileage to determine the interval appeared in 2007. Chrysler was not far behind in 2008. Ford had an intelligent system on most vehicles starting in 2011.

Systems from GM, Ford and Chrysler are basing the oil change interval on actual data from the vehicle. At the heart of the equation is still mileage, revolutions and hours of operation. But, these systems also log oil and coolant temperatures to see if the engine has had time to burn off condensates in the oil. Some systems also use calendars to determine if it is time to change the oil. If the date is not set in the driver information center, the oil life monitor might not work.”

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just dropped car in for a service and asked the tech.. he kind of explained like cue has commented but basically said it's a combination of things but in my case seeing as the mileage hasn't reached it's schedule that it's more than likely the service interval.. he also said the yellow change oil warning goes red if you don't change it after a certain amount of time.. again not sure whether it's the oil quality sensor or a final warning sort of thing.. and it didn't quite catch everything he was saying but I think he was alluding to the fact that if you just ignored it the car wouldn't start but don't hold me to that.. I think there's a similar situation with an overfill that requires intervention from the garage..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also off topic.. last year when I dropped the car off there were all sorts of Stelvios and Giulias in the showroom (Ancaster Dartford) .. today I thought I had driven into the wrong section.. no Alfas outside and only 1 Giullia inside ? full of Jeeps now ... not sure what's happening there but wanted to have a good look around all the MY20 stuff pending a possible purchase..

·
Registered
37,342 Posts
Out of interest I searched on their website for a list of their new car stock. For all Alfa models the response was they hadn’t got any....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts